January Subtractions & Additions

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by nevzter, Dec 29, 2023.

1. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

And so it begins with an all too real possibility of a subtraction ….Liverpool need a LB if they want to win the league. Fulham aren’t so comfortable in the table that losing a key defensive cog couldn’t disrupt the remainder of the campaign…and I’d hate to see him leave (but in all likelihood keeping him past this summer wasn’t going to happen) and I’d hope the fee would at least elicit a small grin. And no false pride here, send Carvalho back too!
    https://www.goal.com/en-us/lists/li...on-kostas-tsimikas-injury/bltcb440d8fd67c1b5c

2. astroevan

astroevan Well-Known Member

Ack. I saw a headline stating Liverpool’s interest in Robinson but figured it was just typical big club takes from small club speculation. I didn’t realize that Tsimikas got hurt and Robertson has been out long term. That article is trying to put him in their starting 11 a week into January!

I’m not sold on Ballo Toure yet(?). Plus he’s on loan, so if Robinson goes then Fulham need a permanent long term replacement. With Palhinha’s replacement the highest priority and a striker also needed, it would be hard to convince me that adding the loss of Robinson to that list wouldn’t break the team. I am not confident that Marco, Tony and crew could sufficiently fill those needs in the January window.

3. daddude7

daddude7 Well-Known Member

I suppose I'm a bit more optimistic about the rest of this season than my esteemed predecessors in the event that we lose both Palhinha and Jedi. I think it's very likely we lose them, and we might as well accept that. We're not in a position to turn down bloated transfer offers. The question will be who comes in their place, and I have no doubt the club is already working on it. None of it will be a surprise, and I think Marco can work through it.

As for a striker, that being a key area of need, what we should do first is find buyers for Vinicius and Muniz (or at least one of them), as well as recall Stansfield. The boy is better than the aforementioned two. That would strengthen us without spending any money, which is important, because someone better than Jimenez will be difficult to find in the January window. I'm at a loss as to who that could be--perhaps someone we never heard of, like Palhinha at the time we got him, hiding in a smaller league.

SoCalJoe, nevzter and MicahMan like this.
  4. nevzter

SoCalJoe likes this.
  5. nevzter

6. nevzter

SoCalJoe likes this.
  7. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

@nevzter Sadly, not enough funds for Shefki, but maybe enough for the original Mitro…Kostas Mitroglou :cool:

nevzter likes this.
  8. daddude7

I am shocked we haven't recalled Stansfield yet. Instant upgrade for no additional money. We keep getting linked with Broja, but he's waaaay overpriced, and I'm not even sure he's any better than Muniz.

SoCalJoe, MicahMan and nevzter like this.
  9. astroevan

astroevan Well-Known Member

Broja it is. I don’t know how to feel about this. He’s only scored against Fulham and Preston this season. It’s not permanent so, on the bright side, Fulham aren’t locked in to a dud if he doesn’t obtain good form.

Bottom line is, striker will remain near the top of the summer wish list.

nevzter, SoCalJoe and MicahMan like this.
  10. MicahMan

MicahMan Administrator

11. daddude7

Stansfield is scoring goals on a poor Birmingham team where he's getting no help. I hope we give him a real chance to show he belongs during preseason.

I was disappointed to see Odutayo leave, and to a non-league team, too. He can be a solid top level defender one day.

12. MicahMan

MicahMan Administrator

The other move that impacted the first team was Francois' loan to Vejle Boldklub in Denmark. Although he was listed on the first team roster he didn't see any playing time in the Premier League and had just 15 minutes in two matches in the EFL and FA Cups.