January 2010 Transfer Thread

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by FFC24, Oct 24, 2009.

1. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

Apparently we are after an Egyptian player named Geddo. He has played really well at the African CUp of Nations, but was surprised at even being included in the team and doesn't seem to have a track record of scoring goals other than his few appearances for Egypt. I would pass.

I like Smalling and hate the fact that we have to sell our best young talent to top teams. I guess its a reality though and 12m sounds good, if that number is true.

2. FulhamAg

FulhamAg New Member

If the big 4 are swooping already, then clearly he won't have a career at Fulham. We can't compete money-wise to keep him. I have to think this means Roy will definitely be buying in the transfer window since it gives him the budget to do so and we certainly need some bodies at lb or rb and desperately need a finisher up front.

3. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

According to "the sporting press," despite the fact that Palace HAVE to sell Moses, only West Brom and another CCC club have bid on him, and the top bid is only 1.5m.

Certainly we could offer 2m on the guy out of the 12 we're getting from United for Smalling.

4. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Having never seen anything but highlights of Moses it's hard to make an evaluation, but it seems telling that only CCC teams are the only ones making overtures. Then again at this point in the window it can be better to swoop in late to avoid a bidding war.

I would still prefer a rb/lb, but I wouldn't be shocked at this point if no one is brought in.

EDIT: Apparently Okaka is in London taking a physical.

5. FulhamAg

FulhamAg New Member

Surely we'd be able to resell him later for more than 2M. He's only 19 and has 6 goals in 14 apps for the Cryps this year.

6. Jensers

Jensers New Member

On again off again...

7. BarryP

BarryP New Member

8. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

If the rumors are true (and it does make sense since he didn't play yesterday) about Dio going to Celtic then there are 2 grades that need to be given for this transfer window (if no other moves are made);

Football Side: F, Okaka in and Dio out. Hope the kid proves me wrong, but that sucks. No other additions.

Business Side: A, Smalling sold for a bundle. Useless squad players (EJ, Seol) shipped on loan. Okaka wages have got to be less than Dio's. Let's be honest the health from an economic standpoint is paramount, a job well done.

9. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Okaka scored the winner today for AS Roma with a cheeky backheel. He was in town on Friday taking a physical, which he passed. He agreed to terms, and Roy let him go back to Rome for today's match.

We've also evidently signed a German U-21 fullback, and they're also talking about Nicky Shorey coming in to play left back for us. Tomorrow could be interesting.

10. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

Don't know why we let Kamara go. He is a good option to have on the bench and start when needed. I like him better than Nevland and AJ for sure.

11. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

12. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

I like Shorey. Good defender and puts in a nice cross. I'd even rate him above Konchesky.

13. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

14. jmh

jmh New Member

Shorey is an interesting pickup. We thought Roy might bring in a left back but I don't think there had been any rumors about him in particular.

Regarding Kamara, Roy knows what he's doing. He's barely played this year, and now his injuries are someone else's headache.

15. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

there was some low-level buzz about Shorey beginning on Friday, but nothing in print really until just now.

He's a good get. We need somebody on that side who can play defense and go forward. It will allow us to put Kelly back on the right and get some of our old shape back.

16. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

17. jmh

jmh New Member

18. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

I trust Roy on both. Shorey has had a shaky time with Villa, and Kamara has been a great player, but far too sporadic. Also, he's the longest-tenured striker the club has (had?), which I still can't wrap my head around.

19. jmh

jmh New Member

True, but he always stood out (in a good way) for Reading. The left situation at Villa seems to have been unstable (surprising considering how tidy a job O'Neill generally seems to do), with Bouma and Warnock and Luke Young all in the mix in addition to Shorey over the last year and a half. If Konchesky is out for a long period of time and Shorey gets steady playing time, I think he could do a perfectly good job for us, probably very comparable in quality to Konchesky. (Coincidentally, Shorey and Konchesky are both from East London, both have 2 senior caps for England, and were born just about three months apart.)

Mike, has Shorey's time at Villa and Forest been long enough to help cleanse the taint of Reading from him? :D

20. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

I say Shorey is good to go. I am a little fuzzy on details, but the year that Reading finished 8th I remember that he was always in the middle of something positive in their defense.

Mike, a long time ago you had a beef about Reading, but I can't remember it. Care to rehash an old story?