January 2010 Transfer Thread

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by FFC24, Oct 24, 2009.

1. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Hmmmm.. guess it's time to head for the offal and start an 'Adu' thread .. if someone hasnt already.
    GBS is not available.. just signed with the Crew again.

- just sayin'

Hmmm.. do they have that "For limited time, you get TWO! Just add extra s&h!" deal going?

2. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Arsenal, huh? Say, aren't those the guys who lured Hangeland away from us last January? And again this past summer?

Reality check:

1. If the English press says it's going to happen, it means absolutely nothing. The English press is not held accountable for printing lies, rumors, and the contents of fortune cookies. That's why Rupert Murdoch has been so successful there.

2. Just because a team is rumored to be interested in a Fulham player, that doesn't mean that he'll be off. After all, how many of the players have Fulham "been tracking" over the last three weeks have signed for us?

3. Players don't transfer themselves, clubs do -- well, actually agents do -- but the guy who has the least power in a transfer like this would be Smalling. Besides, if Roy were to say that the club is willing if the money is right, Smalling's saying, "No, I want to stay here" isn't loyalty to Fulham. Rather, it's just another case of the player being bigger than the club, so some such.

3. jmh

jmh New Member

All caveats about unsubstantiated rumors aside, it would be something if Roy took in a large sum of money (Sky Sports is reporting an offer that could potentially rise to 7 million pounds) for Smalling a year and a half after signing him for a pittance.

To be clear, I'd of course still rather see him stay, but it would be an impressive profit turned by our scouting and player development departments if it were to be true.

4. FulhamAg

FulhamAg New Member

I was thinking the same thing. You'd probably want to pick up some more cover in the middle if we did it, but for a club that has a hard time finding money, 7m for a bench player isn't bad. Now if you thought he'd be starting for us w/in the next year, that's another story.

5. DCDave

DCDave Member

6. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

Not Fulham related, but W Ham have seen fit to try to wheel Ruud Van Nistelrooy into Upton park, for only 100k pounds a week.
    Their new owners are apparently trying to spend all of their money in the worst way imaginable. Ridiculous.

7. jmh

jmh New Member

Roy says "Hey everyone, stop making shit up about Chris Smalling." In general, he's a bit bearish about the transfer market, saying that just about everything we hear is made-up garbage: "I'm not in a position at the moment to talk about any of our transfer targets or make any comments about the players we're being associated with. There might occasionally be one in there that might be of interest amongst all the ones we have never even discussed or thought of. I don't want to get involved in discussing individual cases." He also says that if a striker or a full back were to be available, he'd be interested, but it would depend on the player and the price. He also says that Zamora might be able to return as soon as next week (?!), assuming he can play through pain. I guess maybe it's the kind of situation where he needs to heal, but he's not going to injure himself worse if he plays through it, it's just a question of what he can handle?

8. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Okaka is back on. Reportedly his shoulder is fine now. I'm thinking that Roma told the player to get his agent's shit together or fire him outright. Everybody wanted the loan, but agents gottab be agents.

9. BarryP

BarryP New Member

10. BarryP

BarryP New Member

11. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

12. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

13. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

We had to have gotten an offer in these economic times we couldn't turn down (7-9 million pounds?). For the kid's sake I hope he doesn't get lost in the shuffle, but a loan to a Championship side is probably inevitable. Glad to see we at least we keep him for cover the rest of the season.

The big question now, does this move mean the club is going to spend some money on some help on the backline?? Konch is a giant question mark and frankly we are going to be torched on the flanks if forced to start a combo of Kelly & Kallio or even Baird & Kelly.

14. jmh

jmh New Member

15. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

For Fulham's sake, I don't like Smalling's deal one bit.

16. nevzter

17. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

8m plus he stays with us until the end of the season. This is a brilliant deal. I love the kid, but we got him for nothing. Selling him for 8m is a great bit of business.

18. nevzter

I know you're right, HD...but with the injuries and nobody coming in and our once formidable CB pairing looking like Swiss cheese, reading of his transfer was a bit much this morning.

19. sfm

sfm Member

20. jmh

jmh New Member

If £12M is right, that's a LOT of money.