January 2009 Transfer thread

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by RidgeRider, Sep 16, 2008.

1. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

Similar stuff from soccernet:

As I said in the pod, I would love, LOVE to see Castillo. But it probably wont happen. Nonetheless we still need some teeth up front, be it a striker or a supply man from midfield.

2. jmh

jmh New Member

Which Castillo are we talking about?

Rovers selling Pedersen would be tantamount to conceding that they're going down; I don't see that happening.

If we have a 15-year-old talented enough to catch Wenger's eye, I hope we can hold on to him.

3. Bradical

Bradical Member

A Fulham side with Morten Gamst Pedersen would be pure joy to watch - I've always wanted that guy on the squad.

4. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

Nery, the one rotting in Ukraine (and, arguably, rightfully so).

5. jmh

jmh New Member

Eww, not sure I wanna have to root for a Mexican national team player on Fulham. It's bad enough that I have to count the days (figuratively) until Barcelona realize what an asshole Rafa Marquez is and get rid of him.

6. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I'd take the young lad on Arsenal's books in a heartbeat. But I know where you're coming from, Josh. I like to think of Mexico's midfielders and strikers as a series of light snacks for Gooch, Boca, Pearcey, 'dolo, and TIMMMMMMMMMMAAYYYY! :banana:

7. BarryP

BarryP New Member

Under the category of here we go again:

According to Sky Sports:
    Bullard told he can go

But from the MailOnline Hodgson is quoted as saying:

'I stick to my original statement that I would be happy if the January transfer window came and went without any transfer activity, and certainly no-one at Fulham has told him he can leave.'

Of course the rest of the article makes it sound like both Fulham and Jimmy are playing a bit of hardball on a new contract.

8. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I don't think now is the time to be looking for a contract that includes a significant raise. Certainly even Jimmy's agent can see that money is a little tight at the moment.

Players who are more critical to FFC's success this year than Bullard: Hangeland, Hughes, Schwarzer, AJ, Murphy

Just my view.

9. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

IMO, we could slot Dempsey into Central midfield and put Gera back on the wing and not really lose much. Davies and Konch can both take free kicks.

10. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

The fans get on Dempsey enough already, it would be an untenable position for him to replace Jimmy (drawn and quartered come to mind). Gera's natural spot is attacking mid and I think Roy would try him there first.

Have to love agents going to the media, and the media in turn bombarding Woy.

11. SCFulhamFan

SCFulhamFan Active Member

I would prefer Bullard stay, but if he doesn't want to be at the Cottage, we know we can get a good price for him and have an abundance of midfielders.

12. BarryP

BarryP New Member

Its like he was reading my mind. Crave Cottage Newsround's posting on Jimmy Bullard's reported contract impass puts into words exactly what I have been thinking.

Regardless or whether MAF decides to Sell Jimmy's contract or hold onto it I hope things are put to rest early in January so the situation does not linger and have a negative impact on the squad.

13. Bradical

Bradical Member

What the article assumes is that there are wealthy courtiers waiting in line for Bullard. While his England call up is nice, his play on the pitch so far this season has been pedestrian.

Would Fulham really sell Bullard to (let's say) Wigan for 5M? That scenario would disappoint me. Aston Villa for, say, 10M? Have a go.

14. Jensers

Jensers New Member

It is Bullard the character that we are going to miss. I dont want to be quick to forget the contributions he has provided for a club that lacked leadership or direction before he and McBride returned.

15. jmh

jmh New Member

Sky: Hangeland refutes speculation

Now, of course, certainly he could just be saying the right things, but I think it's the first time I've seen the Hangman himself quoted about the transfer speculation so I thought it was worth linking.

For what it's worth, there do seem to be reasons why he might WANT to stay, even if Harry or Big Phil or Wenger or someone were to come knocking on his door. Stay at Fulham and you're the first name on the team sheet for the next eight years, and the fans love you because you've added stability that was tremendously lacking, and you're on the same wavelength as your coach, and you can really be a driving force in a move up the table. Go to Arsenal and you're just another brick in the wall.

Now, obviously, there's a lure to winning trophies that we can't necessarily offer right at the moment, but over the past three seasons we've won exactly the same amount of hardware as Arsenal; going to a big club is no guarantee of anything. If he's the type of guy who enjoys a challenge, the place he is is the place to be.

16. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

If he says he wants out, we believe he will go. If he says he wants to stay, we believe he will go.

Mmmmmmm.

17. jmh

jmh New Member

Who says we believe he'll go because he says he wants to stay?

18. FulhamAg

FulhamAg New Member

19. FulhamAg

FulhamAg New Member

20. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

yes, we seem to be tracking South Africans heavily -- witness our interest in saving a few passangers from the HMS Titanic II [Southampton]