January 2009 Transfer thread

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by RidgeRider, Sep 16, 2008.

1. RidgeRider

RidgeRider Member

Fulham are lining up a potential move for Hearts central defender Christophe Berra. (Scottish Sun)

If true.....depth? Somebody possibly leaving?

2. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

If true, definitely depth. Only injury will interrupt the Hughes/Hangeland partnership this season.

3. BarryP

BarryP New Member

4. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

Thanks, Sanchez. :x

5. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

Daily Mail today brings up this rumor again, saying we are leading in the chase for Berra's services. The manager for Hearts apparently mentioned to the Hungarian media that us along with ManU & the Scum as suitors for Berra. Are we preparing for the possiblity of someone making a run at the Hangman?

6. RidgeRider

RidgeRider Member

Fulham hope to beat QPR to the £500,000 signing of Crystal Palace midfielder Ben Watson next month. (The Sun)

Ok, I know it is the Sun but this is the rumur mill, so why not post it eh?

7. RidgeRider

RidgeRider Member

I think we have to prepare for the departure of Hangeland. He is no longer a secret and if the price is right I would think Fulham would sell.

I hope it doesn't come to this and with the worldwide economy such as it is, my suspicion would be this will be a light transfer window with possibly only Man City really being active. If this turns out to be the case and Fulham stays healthy, it is good for Fulham.

8. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

You may notice that when SPL starters who DON'T play for Celtic or Rangers move south, they usually only move into starting roles in the CCC. If we sign Berra, he'll be a squad player at best.

Oh, AND WE'RE NOT SELLING HANGELAND IN JANUARY.

9. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

10. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

consider the source

11. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

12. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Now HIM, I could see us without.

13. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

Now HIM, I would hate to see us without!

Jimmy threatens constantly, and he is probably responsible for many more goals and wins than goes down in the statistics.

Lose Hangeland or Bullard? hmmmm......tough call.

14. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

15. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Not for me. Bully has game, but I think he's hurting Davies' game. His corner kicks are abominable, and most of his accurate passes go sideways or backwards. He shoots when he should pass, and he's probably caught out of position more than any of the 12 starters. Yes, he can do amazing things on the ball, but he's not worth twice his current wages and he's more dispensible than Hangeland. Only Roy is LESS despensible than Hangeland.

Nobody has convinced me yet of the up side for Roy or Fulham of selling Hangeland in January. Selling our main defender to a relegation rival when we're all so tightly packed is stupid. I don't think MAF is going broke, and Hangeland is under contract for 2.5 years. Maybe he'll go for top euro in the summer, but please ... somebody show me the logic in selling him in January.

16. jmh

jmh New Member

Though that Daily Mail article didn't mention it, one thing that's been discussed here and elsewhere is the need for an actual left-sided player, with Cook gone, Bouazza out on loan, and Davies and Demps and Gera all not so comfortable out on that wing. (Demps the best of the three, but more prone to cutting inside than actually playing the wing.)

One thing the article DID mention is that Gianfranco Zola is going to need to cut a lot of "dead wood" at Wet Spam because of the club's financial situation, and that one player who might be on his way out is Boa Morte.

Anyone else thinking what I'm thinking?

17. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

There is no logical response to selling Hangman HD. In fact selling either one of these players tells everyone involved (club, players, and fans) that we give up and dropping divisions is the plan of action. After becoming a fan of the Prem you come to realize that unless a billionaire buys and is determined to win that your club will never win or even challenge for the league. It is absolutely sickening that a system exists in which a smaller club that has done a great job putting a squad together gets raided by a rich one in the middle of the season. Now you can't blame someone for making an offer, but MAF should tell anyone that neither one is for selling for anything less than 15 million each (that should clear the phone lines).

18. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

15 million.........in everyone's involved dreams.

Unfortunately, the business aspects of this sport really take the shine off what has so far been a fairly decent season. Hate to see either go, but MAF and the Board probably don't aim any higher than 6th or 7th, and they probably feel quite chuffed to be where we are at the moment. To them, it probably means time to cash in.

I wish all involved could show a bit more aspiration. :(

19. FulhamAg

FulhamAg New Member

If you could move Bullard for a proper LM, I'd bite. His value is likely peaked, his form has been off from last year, and at 29, he ain't getting any younger. It all depends on the value of the offers you get for him though.

As for Hangeland, man I hope not. He's as integral to this team as any single player.

As for the in's, wouldn't mind seeing some depth at CB and an upgrade over Konchesky.

20. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

10 million for Bullard, 15-20 million for Hangman.

Then, maybe, I'll bite.