January 2009 Transfer thread

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by RidgeRider, Sep 16, 2008.

1. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

Andreasen to Hannover is now off according to Sky (with an interesting quip by Andreasen Gump at the end):

However, talks regarding a deal have broken down, with Hannover's sporting director Martin Kind claiming Cottagers boss Hodgson is responsible for the delay. "Yes, that is correct what he (Kind) says," Andreasen told Sporten.dk.

"Roy Hodgson has problems. That's all I have to say."

2. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Jari Litmanen anyone?

3. jmh

jmh New Member

I don't blame Roy for hanging on to Andreasen if he doesn't think he can bring another player or two into the squad by Monday, and that certainly may be the case - Leeds say they'd want Delph loaned back to him for the rest of this year as a condition of a sale, Barnes positively screams "failed medical" (and isn't match fit at the moment in any case), and Huddlestone was an unsubstantiated rumor all along (because I guess Modric and Jenas and Lennon and O'Hara and Zokora and Bentley and Palacios and dos Santos and Taraabt aren't enough midfielders). If I were Roy, I would NOT want to go into the second half of the season with Murphy, Andranik and Etuhu the only central midfielders in the squad (since he seems to prefer Dempsey/Davies/Gera either outside or as forwards).

That being said, I DO blame Roy for A) misleading Andreasen and Hannover into thinking that it was a done deal, as seems to have been the case, and B) waiting until the last four days of the window to do any buying/loaning he may do, and C) not giving Murphy/Andreasen a try against Sunderland after Murphy/Etuhu was an ineffective pairing against West Ham.

4. Bradical

Bradical Member

I don't understand why Andreason is treated like a cancer - he doesn't get to play, he's on the market, he's being sold, etc. He just happens to be one of our most talented mids (a position of great need) and we'll need him when one of our current starters goes down (I'm predicting Murphy). Just keep the guy, put him in the lineup and let him contribute! If it's a money issue, then why are we only looking for an equal return on his transfer from Werder Bremen? Ugh.

5. jmh

jmh New Member

If Roy is to be believed, it isn't a money issue but rather that he feels guilty holding onto Leon and not giving him a chance to play.

6. FulhamAg

FulhamAg New Member

Yeah, I don't get why we haven't run Andreason out more. He's limited offensively to a point, but not paralized offensively like Etuhu.

7. RidgeRider

RidgeRider Member

8. Team_of_McBrides

Team_of_McBrides New Member

Just checked the gossip column this morning and there isn't a word of us metioned anywhere, besides the loan deal of Barnes of course. Roy can either be a genius in the transfer market or frigheningly bad. Maybe it doesn't boil down to Roy's ability to sign players, but rather the lack of funds provided or the general nature of the transfer market at this time. The January window is always a tricky one.

Please get well soon Kamara, because at this rate you'll be our biggest pseudo signing of January.

Praying for a miracle signing...

9. FulhamAg

FulhamAg New Member

Only things I've been able to find are Watford midfielder Lee Williamson and Nurnberg striker Angelos Charisteas. But sounds like both deals have stalled out at this point.

10. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

As for Delph, he played the full 90 minutes today in a road game for Leeds. If he were about to be transfered, I don't think they'd have risked him. I could be wrong -- it's been known to happen -- but I don't think he's coming.

Also, there'll be no transfer. Roy said in his BBC interview that he's hoping for two players -- with a loan arrangement. He also said that he expects Barnes to play a bit. I think he'll be a 65 minute sub from time to time. Maybe against United on the 17th. He seems to like them!

11. FulhamAg

FulhamAg New Member

Just watched the tape delayed broadcast and the announcer said Roy had already secured another mid, but would not say who.

12. RidgeRider

RidgeRider Member

I am watching it right now. A big tease he is!! :D

13. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

FSC news just reported Woy let Andreasen return to the Bundesliga.

14. FulhamAg

FulhamAg New Member

Said he quit for family reasons and is on his way to Hannover on a transfer.

15. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

OMG

Sky Sports has just announced that Fulham and McBride are in talks about a return on loan. UN-BEL-IEV-ABLE

16. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

If it's not a mistake by Sky, then it's a mistake by Brian and by FFC. He'd only have February and about a week of March before heading back to the Fire. How much of that time would he need just to get match fit? We might be able to use him in one or two matches as a late sub.

Stay home with the wife and kids, Brian; you've already given us more than we could ever repay.

17. Team_of_McBrides

Team_of_McBrides New Member

I agree with Don. Don't get me wrong, we all would like to see a fully fit McBride winning headers and being the iron man we all know he is, but it isn't the time for him to return.

Hopefully with the resurrection of Erik he will be moved to the starting XI and Fulham will get in amongst the goals. AJ and Erik seem to click and hopefully Roy will decide to test the partnership more in the future.

Barnes and Dacourt seem to be the only signings that Roy is going to sign this window. Still hoping for a surprise and Kam can't make his return soon enough.

18. DawgTheDon

DawgTheDon New Member

Don, it wouldn't have to be the same deal Beckham & Donovan have with the Galaxy. Chicago could loan him until the end of the EPL season and return to the Fire in June.

19. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

Hate to say it, but Doin is right -- Brian, you've done more than enough, do your part for the Fire and MLS. Especially if GJ's Man Crush (as he should be known on this board) seems to have found the mark.

I just had a flashback to Brett Farve in a NY Jets jersey, that didn't work out so well.

20. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

Wow!

My heart screams yes, but my head is confused (well, that's pretty much par for the course.)

HD, ToM (nice avatar, DogtheDawn too!), Steve, your criticisms are all valid. But if it would be a deal through June, then I gotta support it. Now that Bullard's gone, the move could give a big mental boost to the squad - just having a character guy like McBride around is a good thing.

What I'd be loathe to see is a "Willie Mays playing for the NY Mets" situation for McBride.