Italy is OUT

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by SoCalJoe, Mar 24, 2022.

1. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

2018 Out

2020 Euro Champion

2022 Out

North Macedonia w/the shocker 0-1. The Azzuri spent 90 minutes peppering shots, but few on target. NM w/the smash and grab in 2nd half stoppage. :eek::eek::eek::eek:

nevzter and MicahMan like this.
  2. MicahMan

MicahMan Administrator

You beat me to it @SoCalJoe ! I thought I was reading the score wrong or someone made a mistake at the BBC. I had to go to another source before I believed it! We knew going into this that either Portugal or Italy would be eliminated, but now North Macedonia has a chance to take them both out. They will play on Tuesday to see who makes it.

In other European qualification news Wales will play the winner of Scotland/Ukraine in June to see if they make it. They beat Austria today with Harry Wilson and Neco Williams both starting (and earning yellows). Williams apparently played a key role in deflecting a tying score for Austria.

nevzter likes this.
  3. jumpkutz

jumpkutz Well-Known Member

I watched a decent chunk of Italy-North Macedonia. Can't say I'm disappointed the Azzurri aren't in. They're some of the worst actors on the pitch. Masters at influencing weak refs. At least Giorgio Chiellini won't have to worry about getting the vampire treatment from Luis Suarez any more. At 37, this was likely his last shot at playing in his last World Cup. Boo hoo...