Irish, 'Canes, Bearcats!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by pettyfog, Nov 30, 2008.

1. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

All's right with the college sports world. Have to feel for Charlie Weiss. Once more the head coach will be made the scapegoat for something he has little control over.

The pertinent part, to me, is that it's just further embarrassment ... on the same day, Univ of Cincinnati blew out the same BigEast bottom dwelling Syracuse team that handed the Irish their asses on their home turf. And likely got a spot in a BCS bowl.

Does that mean UC would whip ND's ass if they played? Yes. In fact I think University of Dayton {Div 2} would give 'em a hard time.

Ten years ago UC football was all but dead. They played in a conference no one heard of and lost Ohio recruits to ANY/ALL of the MAC teams. And if an Ohio school cant recruit good players from Ohio, they dont have a chance. And I bet most fans didnt even know UC still played Div 1 until Ohio State played them after Marc D'Antonio went from OSU to UC.

But the key was not in the coaching slots.. it was in the attitude of the Athletic Dept. They wanted UC to be more than just a Basketball power. Which is why they switched to C-USA then to the Big East soon as they got a chance.
    The chance being Miami -Fla {7-5, 4-4} leaving it for the ACC. UC is going to a bowl, Miami isnt. But you can vote Miami's coach 'Div 1-A Coach if the Year'.

UC's Brian Kelly is not on that list. But UC with Brian Kelly is expected to play over the holidays at Miami's home field.
    No word on what the 'canes and Randy Shannon will be doing. Other than trying to avoid being shot.

Mercifully... ND wont be in a bowl, either

They should fire and disconnect everyone now associated with Notre Dame football and bring in alumni who have a realistic view of the college football world.
    That does NOT necessarily mean the active coaching staff. Even though they havent had a decent coach since Lew Holz, they really arent the problem.

First would be to get rid of the tv contract, it's a problem.. not a solution and caused probably a large segment of football fans to root against ND, including me.

Then join a conference. Any major or mid-major conference. Once you win it a couple times, THEN you can look to 'trade up'.

Then start recruiting realistically.

It wont make ME a fan, though. I'll be rooting for the Bearcats. Who will be recruiting most of those players from the SW Ohio Catholic schools, like Moeller, which ND cant get anymore.

2. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

Totally agree on ND, fog.

But after this weekend's BCS shenanigans with one-lossers Oklahoma surpassing Texas (A TEAM THEY LOST TO), I don't know how anyone would care/take this sport seriously in the coming years.

i know i've officially given up.

3. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Wow, Fog I can't believe what I'm reading about Notre Dame, because you couldn't be more wrong.

Unless NBC decides to cancel the contract there is no way ND should ever join a conference for football (they are a member of the Big East for every other sport). You do realize that the football contract pays for the entire athletic department? The Irish have become a player in many other sports because of that deal. Notre Dame is one of the handful of Athletic Departments that actually are in the black. In Weiss' first 2 years they went to a BCS game, that's 12 million they shared....with NO ONE. Join a conference and the money is split 10,11, 12 ways. To become a part of a conference would be a "left-wing" idea :shock:

As far as feeling for Weiss? you have got to be kidding. He did well w/Willingham's players and now it's his recruits that are getting beat by the likes of Syracuse and needing a miracle to beat San Diego State at home. His recruiting classes have been alledgedly in the top 5 (by the recruiting services), but if anyone tortured themselves to watch them play USC this last Sat. would have noticed the level of talent between the 2 sides was laughable. Just tells you how hard it is to evaluate high school players.

'The alumni shouldn't be so unrealistic' That argument was the same one said out here about USC before they hired Pete Carroll. Those same radio personalities sure have changed their tune and can't get over themselves when the Trojans actually lose a game. Being the head coach at Notre Dame puts you in any living room in the United States. Weiss' ego is through the roof (just listen to one press conference). He held the University hostage when the NFL came sniffing around, I feel zero sympathy for him whatsoever.

As for Cincinnati's Brian Kelly, not sure where you get your info, but he is at the top of every coach of the year list I've heard about. Randy Shannon the Miami coach seems to have things turning back around for the Canes, but nobody has mentioned him for coaching honors. Kelly is on everyone's wish list for their coaching vacancy (U of Washington wants to talk to him bad). Unless Cincinnati can come up w/a million or two more a year, he's as good as gone.

I will agree that Texas is getting hosed and USC (the lone team in the entire country that can spell defense) isn't far behind (and I'm a Longhorn, Trojan hater).

4. FulhamAg

FulhamAg New Member

Impossible to hose t.u. They've earned every slight they ever get and then some. Course I may be biased. :wink:

But if you want to play the they beat them game, then explain what you do with Tech for me. And if you discount them for getting routed, doesn't Zero U get some credit for being the ones to do that to them? I know, Stoops said the same thing, but he made a very valid point. There's no fair way to do it. It used to be, team furthest removed from winning the division (the sandfleas in this case) would have gone to the B12 title game. At least by using the highest rated BCS team, you get the best shot at your champ making the BCS title game.

Of course the whole system is goofier than a football bat so all points are relative.

Oh, and screw Notre Dame....or rather, continue to screw Notre Dame. If you want the benefits of being overrated when you're up then you have to take the fishbowl treatment when you're bad as well.

Good point on Kelly. He was a name alot of us wanted to see interviewed when our HC job was open last year. But politics prevailed and we signed up one of our old HC's buds. Doesn't appear that's working out too well for us but it's probably too early for judgement.

5. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

Because Texas beat Oklahoma at a Neutral site.
    And lost at Texas Tech in the last play of the game.
    Who got shellacked by Oklahoma, at Oklahoma.

I'm kinda looking at it with an "away goals" mindset, and Texas should be #1.

6. dtwondough

dtwondough New Member

I have to agree with Timmy, the horns got the shaft and the Big 12 will be looking into changing that tie breaker rule in the off-season.

7. FulhamAg

FulhamAg New Member

Tech coach Mike Leach made a great point yesterday. He said it should be based on highest graduation rate. Given that it's college football, I actually like that idea. Course Tech had the highest grad rate in the B12 (which is really surprising) so that's why he chose to make that point.

I think 2 teams were going to be shafted no matter who you picked. I do think OU is the best team right now though. t.ul. may have won away goals, but OU won on goal differential. Works for the EPL as a tiebreaker.

8. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

graduation rates has NOTHING to do with college football. The only sports it has anything to do with is golf, tennis and baseball. If anyone on a major collegiate varsity team in these sports is a graduating senior, IT'S BECAUSE HE SUCKS TOO MUCH TO PLAY PROFESSIONALLY.

Leach could have said that the school whose campus gets the least amount of annual rainfall should be chosen. It would still be Tech and it would have just as much to do with football. And, please, big time college football has nothing to do with academics or the daily life of an educational institution. Let's stop pretending that they're nothing more than professional franchises whose aim has nothing to do with learning, but everything to do with making bags of money.

9. DawgTheDon

DawgTheDon New Member

Go Irish!

11-1 this coming season, mark my words.

10. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

:lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

:3d laughing: :3d laughing: :3d laughing:

Stop it! You're killing me!!