Ireland v Brazil

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by sullytex, Mar 2, 2010.

1. sullytex

sullytex Member

Going to the Emir's Rats (Emirates) with a few guys from the office tonight to watch a friendly between Ireland and Brazil.

Never been to the Emirates. I went to Highbury back in 2000 so I have a feeling I will be let down. I would like to walk by the old grounds as I hear they've kept up a lot of the facades, built flats where the stands used to be on the inside, and the middle where the pitch used to be is a small park.

Never know how friendlies will go. Could be a wide open free flowing 4-2 match or a nil nil draw. The last one at the Emirates was very entertaining between Brazil/Italy. Watched that one on the tube. The last time I saw Brazil live was in the Cotton bowl v Netherlands in the 94 WC (that was a freaking classic!).

2. WhitesBhoy

WhitesBhoy Active Member

I hope this ends up being entertaining. Imagine the Paddys will have their Eire up!

3. sullytex

sullytex Member

A so/so game. Although Ireland held there own in the first half, Brazil's class started to shine through in the second and reflected in the final result of 2 - 0. Love the passion of the Brasileros for the beautiful game. When Brazil scored the second (a great goal by the way), the guy next to us dove across the laps of me and my 3 mates. We tossed him around a bit and lifted him back upright. It was hilarious. Duff was by far the most active and effective Irish player. Several dangerous crosses both in the run of play and set pieces.

I have to admit, Emirates is a class facility. If you are going to build it big, this is the way to do it. While at the match, I thought about the couple of times I have sat in the Haynes stand and chuckled out loud. The two grounds could not be more different. While the Emirates is nice, I'll take like the charm and history that oozes out of the Cottage anyday.

4. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

On the television, at least, it appeared as if Kelly acquitted himself well. I never saw him once bite on Robinho's cutesy little stepovers. He showed good balance and accuracy in the tackle.

Glad you had a good match. Thanks for the report.