Ireland to change driving direction?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by dave2d2, Feb 10, 2008.

1. dave2d2

dave2d2 New Member

2. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

If they ever are going to do it, the earlier the better.

I doubt it ever happens, though.. didnt Australia try to change it about 25 years ago?

3. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

One of the Scandinavian countries did it in the 60s. Might have been Sweden. As I remember, they stopped all traffic in the country at 1155 and then, at midnight, everyone switched directions. It didn't work perfectly, but they did do the switch.

When I last visited Ireland -- in 1992 -- I was struck by the fact that as Europe's only third-world nation, they were reaping a ton of development-zone cash from the EU, and it was upgrading their infrastructure considerably. The French had also decided that this was a good place to go on holiday, so the cuisine had improved mightily also. Folks I talked to there said that they were on the verge of getting more visitors from the Continent than from the British Isles and the USA combined. I guess this latest proposal is a reflection of the expansion of this trend.

4. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

As bad as Ireland may be, parts of Eastern Europe are even worse.

Still, things are looking up for Ireland and the road switch is probably a good move NOW, before they begin modernizing their moterway system.

5. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

My bad -- imprecision on my part. I meant to say Western Europe's only third-world nation. And the infusion of EU cash is having a dramatic effect.