IOWA GOP "debate"

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by pettyfog, Dec 12, 2007.

1. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Arrggghhh... I had forgot and just stumbled on it 20 minutes ago.

It's the BEST so far... hard questions asking 'HOW'.. going good.

CNN will be shamed!

2. pettyfog

RE: IOWA GOP debate on now

Alan KEYES is a schmuck!

Dammit.. declare when everyone else does and get some support to start, if you want to be treated like the rest of the candidates!

3. pettyfog

DAMN! There's a focus group graph, coservative and moderate lines.

When Ron Paul said the first thing he'd do as president...and we know what THAT is... the lines -both of them- went off the chart.

The BOTTOM of the chart. I have never seen that happen before...so WHO is it supports him?

4. Smokin'

Smokin' Administrator

Yeah, we would want to phrase this:

... as in bring the troops home from Iraq?

Thanks for the play by play fog, the focus group was 21 people, from Iowa, GREAT sampling.

63% of republicans still want us there basically forever... no surprise there...

I think 77% of Dems do too... who knows about the floaters, indies, non affiliates think... but safely its probably @ 50%.

Forget what the majority of Americans want... its Iowa who should show us the way.

I think Rudy McRomney, missed the opportunity to shake off some of Hackabees momentum... advantage Paul... he came out unattacked and unscathed. I think he'll have a good showing in Iowa simply because he has the most dedicated following... caucus style even.

Only a few more weeks left.

5. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

There is a replay of this on tonight at 8.30CT on good ole CSPAN 2
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just saw a clip of McCain coming out big time against Ethanol subsides, in the IOWA DEBATE. Mucho Respect for John McCain!

6. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

It's about some time somebody in either party had some cojones on this one. The only other presidential candidate I've ever seen do this was Alan Alda on The West Wing. :shock:

Usually, those who are against it "decide to concentrate on NH or SC."

7. pettyfog

Sorry Smokin... you can delude yourself all you want, just dont pretend that Ron Paul carries any weight with people that generally vote Republican.

And I REALLY resent the f#$42n 'seminar voters' and callers. That means people who claim to be someone or something they arent.

Including the f$##%#in Paul spammers

8. pettyfog

Oh... I was going to mention THAT .. you KNEW I would, right?

9. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Be nice, 'fog. You KNOW that the Demo's numbers are skewed by the same means. In this case, however, the RNC is making sure a beatable candidate is nominated by the Dems, so they're inflating the numbers of their easiest targets. I don't think the Paul voters are Demos trying to skew as much as they are disaffected people looking for a candidate to actually believe in -- while you and I just hold our noses and sing a chorus or two of "Is That All There Is?"

So, lighten up on the Paul people. At least they're IN FAVOR of something.

10. pettyfog

How's that? I dont see anyone inflating Kucinich or Gravel's numbers?

If I thought there was a chance these people REALLY were conservatives, or Libertarian, even Liberal-tarian types {which I fully believe Smokin' is}, I might have a different view.
    Because THEN you might be able to reason with them..

....Is not a political argument.

11. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

'fog, the RNC is working overtime to get "shadow Democrats" to announce for Obama, and you know it.

As for your two "strawmen," Kucinich is in line for Ambassador to Neptune and Gravel for Secretary of Who the Hell Are You when Pat Paulsen gets elected. :lol:

check him out, young folk! http://www.paulsen.com/

My favorite PP quote: "Yes, I smoked marijuana, but I never exhaled."

12. pettyfog

C'mon, Don... if you believe that, you can produce some evidence.

Oprah dont count!

13. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

After watching the replay last night I have to say Ron Paul did do pretty well. No one was particularly poor, even Romney was able to sound somewhat authentic half the time.

I'm thinking if McCain or Thompson is the next president I'll be alright with that. The rest of em not so much. And I am under the feeling that for better or worse the next president will be a Republican.

14. Smokin'

Smokin' Administrator

Petty;

I thought you were smart. I was wrong.

The Polls are the biggest pile of bullshit ever... they are paid for by the parties and the candidates themselves are are opinions of filtered focus groups.

For example Mike Huckabee is a "front runner" yet has almost no money no hand and is asking for gas money just to continue his campaign. Sure the POLLS say he's doing well, but where is the support?

The polls are also taken from those who voted in the last general election. I know handfuls of folks who didnt vote for the turdsandwich OR giant dusche. So how is this accurate?

My candidate has lots of $$$ with more coming on Sunday (@ 5 million or more). Better polling numbers than McCain and Thompson, more straw poll wins than any other candidate, and is currently the only crossover candidate who attracts independents. Not to mention the swell of new Republican voters who have registered. All with the LEAST AMOUNT OF AIR TIME for top tier... thats right... candidates.

I'm ok with my position. Rudy is dropping like a stone and Romney is stagnant.

Thanks Don and spencer... pointing out reality might help fog stave off Altzheimers for a few more months.

15. pettyfog

Well, like I said, you can think what you want.

I know Paul's poll stats are {or should be} higher than the MSM shows. I just dont think they are as high as claimed by paulians. Straw polls and internet polls dont mean SHIT... the Paulians overreached themselves LONG ago with their auto-bot crashing and spamming.

Put it THIS way, it's hard to not like Paul's soundbites, even for me, must be much more so if you are intractably anti-war.

But when you get to the substance of his campaign, and of those who are supporting him, it's far more chilling than I am comfortable with.

16. Smokin'

Smokin' Administrator

I appreciate your permission.

Can you just elaborate on that last line though? What is chilliing? Avoiding Fascism? And don't give me a lesson on what a Fascist country is... we've been sliding that way for a long while now, and we are definately (lobbyists & corporate donors) more interested in corporate rights than individual rights. (This is why i'm not a democrat)

This is not a candidacy that will shift the United States back to 1776, just to change the tide and change attitudes... if he did get elected, more disenfranchised voters will turn out in the mid term election... then we can say that a "revolution" has started, until then I'm excited that there is a candidate who not only takes positions but is right more than half the time.

I think straw polls are an indicator of voter commitment... and it DOES matter come Caucus time.

if you think his poll number should be higher than you admit that he's a contender.

Wow the Paul Spam Bot, you've managed to bring this up a bunch of times, funny thing this was disproven months ago, but you still mention it.

Those other Republicans make me sick. Actually Tom Tancredo makes me laugh.

17. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

And the thing is, Ron Paul is running on making government smaller, getting more of the decision-making back in the hands of the individual, cutting back on needless government spending, and shifting the balance of power back to the individual from the national government.

Smokin', you may not be old enough, but Petty certainly is to recognize that these themes are IDENTICAL to the themes cited by the last great Republican populist -- his own great god Ronald Reagan.

I don't think that Paul will be nominated, and I believe him that he won't run as an independent. I like 90 percent of what he has to say, however, and he's the only guy who is consistently interesting and the only guy who believes everything he says, in my opinion. I'm sick to death of politicians who avoid third rails and, in the process, don't let us know who they really are.

So good luck to Ron Paul. Maybe in 2012, both parties will say, "look how much support Paul got by telling the truth in clear, understandable language. Maybe we should try it." Ain't gonna happen, probably; but I'm not too old to dream.

18. Smokin'

Smokin' Administrator

I can't find the damn quote here... but its funny how history works itsself out...

Reagan at one point called Ron Paul, "his hero" and a true republican... and in his diaries wrote that Rudy Giuliani was 'crazy'.

I grew up in the Reagan era and got into politics in high school when Bill Clinton took office...

I'm a bit too young... : )

I appreciate your post Don... you can easily point out that he is likeable and electable... and still mention he MOST likely wont get the nomination.

i accept that.

19. pettyfog

I'm sorry, Smokin... unlike Don, I dont 'couch my terms to suit'.

I say what I mean. Even if you dont understand what I mean.

So let's try that out:

Who said you needed my permission?

Here's a background note: I never could communicate well with my kids, either... until they were able to talk in complete sentences.

20. Smokin'

Smokin' Administrator

I don't mind that we disagree, but our communication flow kinda goes like this....

1 you make a point, 2 i read the point, 3 rebutt / comment the point, 4 provide my perspective, 5 you tell me I'm dumb, 6 I ask why, 7 repeat 5 & 6.

I wish I did understand. I dont think I understand Don more because he caters to my view when making his own point. I dont think he does that at all.

Then again I could be wrong.