Interesting comments from inside FFC

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by bostoncottage, Mar 3, 2008.

1. bostoncottage

bostoncottage New Member

2. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

What the guy says about Dempsey has certainly crossed my mind before. I cant recall seeing him really drive the ball hard. There are shots he's taken where he needed to and its made me wonder how well he can do it. His Ghana goal had some pace but he recieved it on the run.

3. Lyle

Lyle New Member

He grew up playing in the States and will be technically behind (probably permanently). He also didn't grow up playing in a big city youth environment where there would be better coaching and more games to learn what to do.

4. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

RE: Re: Interesting comments from inside FFC

20 years ago, when I coached YS I experimented with music during practice. There's a certain rhythm that good ball handlers have, like the ball is your dance partner.

Dempsey's interest in rap would suggest he has some understanding of this, so WHY is he unable to deliver the 'dip'? Seeing his wedding dance video might provide a clue.

5. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

will the last person to finally realize and accept that Dempsey is not a striker please turn the light out. The man is a creative and exciting midfielder; of course he doesn't have all the tools of a Prem striker. On the right team, in the right position, he's one of the best in the league -- and week in, week out, he's our best player hands down.

I gots no squaWk with the guys at CCN posting this, but we're only weeks away from "the Americans aren't good enough and that's why we're relegated" -- AND I BEG TO DIFFER.

6. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

Don, there are plenty of midfielders that can put a line drive into the net from some distance. And many are'nt even in the EPL.

7. Lyle

Lyle New Member

Dempsey really isn't a midfielder either... not in the classic sense. He's got a lot of good tools, but doesn't really fit one position completely. In MLS he got played everywhere. Even on the national team he doesn't play in the attacking midfield role.

He's got the talent, but not the training, to do big things in Europe.

8. bearzfan4lfe

bearzfan4lfe New Member

Close Lyle, close, he's got the talent but not the team to do big things in Europe.

9. Lyle

Lyle New Member

He wouldn't actually play for most good teams in England or Europe though, because he doesn't fit any one position well.

I think he could start for a top tier Dutch team, and play Champions League that way, but he would only be a squad player for most serious teams in all the big leagues.

10. Jensers

Jensers New Member

Lyle -
    I am going to have to disagree with you, and it sounds like the folks at CCNR also disagree because they have deleted the part of the article that was concerning Demps.

Personally, I think Demps makes great runs, escapes well, and can beat you 1v1. On top of that he works very hard and one touches to space well. That sounds an awful lot like an outside mid to me.

With the right mix of players he would really show his strengths. Sorry for the Spurs reference, but Lennon doesn't have a rocket either, but he plays to his other strengths. Really - the only outside mids that immediately come to mind that have a chance from outside of 30 yards on a consistent basis would be found in the "top 4" clubs - well, and Petrov & Bentley I suppose.

Unfortunately, this is not a "Top 4" club - This is Fulham. Demps was not bought and expected to be perfect in every way. The supporters perhaps were hoping to get a Ferrari at the price for a Civic... Instead they got maybe a Corvette. Good - but not a Ferrari... But beggars cant be choosers.

I guess the point that I am making is that I think Demps has turned out to be a bargain, and I am going to call BS on anyone that starts pointing the finger at America to explain away Fulham's relegation.

11. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Let's simmer down. The American contingent at Fulham is symptomatic of the problem Fulham has, NOT the CAUSE of it.

12. Lyle

Lyle New Member

He can't cross the ball either, which is a must for quality outside midfielders. Again, I'm not saying he doesn't have the talent or some of the tools, but a lot of teams will pass on him because doesn't excel in at least one proper position.

13. DMiller

DMiller New Member

Can someone sumarize what was said about Demps since they removed it?

14. Lyle

Lyle New Member

Some insider from Fulham apparently told the author that Dempsey is talented, but has horrible technique. Examples given were that he can't cross the ball and can't hit a dead ball with much power.

15. sublicon

sublicon New Member

They didn't remove it, see the first comment below the entry itself.

16. bostoncottage

bostoncottage New Member

Interestingly enough, he comes up again in this article on Americans playing in Europe and why our guys should look to play outside of England. The author suggests that his skill set is best suited for La Liga.
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/w ... ml?eref=T1

17. Lyle

Lyle New Member

Yeah, I agree with this.

18. bq

bq New Member

Sublicon, we did remove it. I should say Rich removed it. He wrote it and removed it. He and I had some conversation about it, but Rich just felt that it was possibly to inflammatory when really it was just one guys opinion.

One of those things we all like to jump on because we get so little inside information from the British press because they operate so differently then they do here in the U.S. where most players and teams have pretty much an open door to the media.

But it does bring up an interesting point does it not? Just a week or so ago Rich posted some stats from Sky or someone and Clint was one of the worst dribblers one-on-one in the Prem. Yet there's something special about the guy. Not superstar special. But not far away from that either.

My biggest problem with Clint is he's one of those players who really is very specialized in the formation that he will excel in. That is, withdrawn forward or attacking midfield. Sort of like they have Jimmy Bullard playing at the moment. But Clint's first step isn't quite as quick as Jimmy's and he isn't quite as mobile.

However, Clint will put the killer pass on as well as anyone if he is played in the correct position. We've seen that with the NATS as well as a few times for Fulham. Though he does best when playing the throughball onto players that are making forward runs like Kamara or Johnson might do.

19. Jensers

Jensers New Member

Hmmmm...

Well - he may fit in the La Liga, but I would be surprised if he didnt turn up at a place like Bolton, Blackburn, Ports or Middles.

Johnson will probably stay, Keller and McBride will pack it in or come home... Boca probably MLS bound as well.

I will say this - Demps has proved to be a much better value than Kamara... Really - He may not be "technically sound" but who on the team is? They are lacking everywhere. You may be tempted to say Bullard, but for all his running, yelling, and one decent free kick - since he has been back the team is still slipping away.

Kamara has done nothing. Kuqi was no help. Davies goes missing. Murphy is old and slow. Healy didnt do anything but miss wide open nets. I dont even need to go into the defense.

I guess I am not able to look at Demps objectively (like the author and Lyle) when I see him involved in the little good that has come out of this club this year (Dont forget the help he provided at the end of last year as well). It makes me defensive to hear people pick him apart when there are an endless number of larger issues in this club.

I understand that that is not really what the conversation is about tho - it isnt what is wrong with Fulham, it is just an isolated look at the player Clint Dempsey.

With the team going down it is probably something that many clubs are doing as they look at what is going to come available when the exodus begins, but I am not sure I am ready to have that conversation just yet. I am too disappointed in what has happened with the club this year and the reality of what that may mean for the future of American players in the EPL.

20. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

Anybody with a footie brain will not place blame squarely on the Yanks. But as part of the whole, they deserve their share of blame. However, the shit Demps catches from Fulham supporters is entirely puzzling to me, obviously he's got his flaws, but he's a solid player and makes the team better.

I agree with 'fog's previous post re symptoms of Fulham's ills. If FFC spent more on players, then it wouldn't HAVE to RESORT to U.S. born players.