Interesting article about Football in London in the NYT

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by DCDave, May 4, 2013.

1. DCDave

DCDave Member

Fulham is mentioned prominently. Inthe article, we are the "kindly" team in London, with the idyllic stadium where one can have a pleasant afternoon. That is certainly better than the portrait of Millwall as a bunch of goons...

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/03/sport ... veins.html

2. tim

tim Active Member

Enjoyed reading this. Thanks for sharing. I, too, have always found Fulham's supposed harmless reputation a bit patronizing. But I suppose you can't really argue with the fact that the Cottage is a wonderful place to take in a match and that there is a certain civility to proceedings that may not exist everywhere else.

3. SteveFakeBlood

SteveFakeBlood Member

Broward County , FL (from DuPage County, IL)
    Thanks for sharing, from the experiences I had in London and the English people I've met it seems relatively spot on (especially for an article by an outsider). Fulham's reputation is kind of amusing, even based on the reaction I always get as a Fulham fan. I remember watching the famous 2010 Europa League semi-final at the Globe Pub in Chicago and having the many Liverpool fans watching the match (both matches were on tape delay and Liverpool's match against Atletico was being broadcast simultaneously) congratulate me and toast to Fulham. More than that, pretty much everyone who finds out I'm a Fulham fan always says something like "Oh, I like Fulham- they're my second favorite team in the Premier League." I guess it's better to be vaguely liked than hated. Although, I think Millwall's reputation is a bit unfair since West Ham fans are nearly as bad and never get slagged off for it...

~ Steve