Inequality and the Republican Party ...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by ohio4fulham, Sep 9, 2008.

1. ohio4fulham

ohio4fulham New Member

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/07/magaz ... lity-t.htm

A buddy of mine sent me this link and so I figured I'd post it here.
    Personally, I'm a conservative person and thought the article was interesting and tended to agree with much of Mr. Brum's assessment.

Thoughts?

2. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

I'd already read that... Frum needs to expand that out into book form, it isnt given justice in such a short format.

I can parse a lot of what he says, but the basic premise is true enough.

The answer, however is NOT to send more kids to college. And certainly not to 7 year programs, in the social sciences.
    College post-graduates {other than hard sciences} generally produce diddly squat in real GDP, and today's undergrads really arent much smarter than a bright kid who skipped college 40 years ago..
    The answer is better schools for the non-college kid. And to stop demeaning those who work in service jobs, like at McDonald's and WalMart.
    I know.. I'm almost as guilty of that as the next guy, but it really isnt right, when we want to reward hard work and ambition, to make fun of the starting points for that principle.

I read another recently where the point was on 'pollution/kyoto' and the rising 'third world'. In it, a fictional Chinese says to the american, "You had your energy appetizer, entree, now you're on dessert and you want ME to settle for a sandwich?"

The American responds: "Nope, you deserve it too.. and while you're eating, we'll go out and invent a whole new cheaper better and less gastrointestinally obstructive energy cuisine. Which you can pay for on credit."