Improving Youth Soccer/US Soccer

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Clevelandmo, Jan 22, 2012.

1. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

ESPN asked some prominent USA coaches for their thoughts on how to improve US soccer. Their answers mostly involve what needs to be done at the youth levels. I think you'll find it worth a read. There are some interesting answers. One of my favorites is Sigi Schmidt pointing out that we shouldnt discount college soccer. I've felt this way for some time. People need to realize our country is different. Our sports programs have been centered around schools rather than local athletic clubs. As a result, schools are where the majority of our best athletic resources exist. They are assests that US soccer needs to exploit better. Plus the fans at college soccer games will be young and enthusiastic with a built-in allegiance to their team. You wont have to grow a fan base the way you do with a new pro team.

I also agree with Rongen about developing footskills and touch at the youngest levels.

http://espn.go.com/sports/soccer/ne...oblems-american-soccer-leander-schaerlaeckens

2. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member