Ihre Papiere bitte

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by FFC24, Apr 21, 2010.

1. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

2. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

You dont ike that? Guess what! I dont like it either.. it's draconian and subject to MUCH abuse of power.

Of course for YEARS .. SOME people were asking only that their government not just let people walk across the borders.
    NOOO... that was RACIST.. they are 'immigrants'. Due process.. yadda.. yadda...
    Well, that's what happens when you let problems fester.. and it wont be the last one.

And.. McCain .. McCain is even more a lightweight than I thought. What a buffoon!

Nothing changed, Sen John! It was this way before. Now.. YEARS too late, you recognize which way the wind blows! No, thanks!

3. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

It is not clear to me that you can go from this

to this conclusion

I would like to read the actual legislation because it sounds like it could mean that if a cop has "lawfully" stopped you for a traffic violation or something and he sees something suspicious then he is required to obtain your immigration status. Not unlike the scenario that leads to hundreds if drug busts everyday. Perhaps there are a lot of people the cops know are illegal, but the laws prevent them from inquiring. I'm not saying this is the case, just think it is a reasonable scenario that I would check on before I pass judgement on a group of people as racist.

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/yak ... z0lpGetEQ4

4. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

I had links and a post, but became busy and deleted the window this morning. I agree with the first part of Petty's post. It says you're not supposed to racially profile people, but I very much doubt Arpaio and the like are going to care about this. They already admit to targeting "people who look like they came from Mexico" and make up excuses for why people are stopped.

5. pettyfog

I want to point out that it takes a certain type of character to become a cop. The guy we didnt much like in high school.

And, like or or not, we need them. Nonetheless they need community control. When the law having been broken elsewhere have been ignored long enough by the community's politicians to pander to special groups, either OTHER politicians will swing the pendulum back.. OFTEN drastically.. and this sort of thing happens, or ... worst case.. people take the law in their own hands.

You can DAMN WELL BETCHA this is going to result in a whole lot of unhappy stories, and miscarriages of justice. But the WORST part of this story is that legal Arizona residents will pay for California's political sins. If you THINK about it, you'll understand what I mean.
    - makes it even more ironic that the Chronicle is complaining. But not surprising.

Sorta like happened with the war on drugs and the federal funding for SWAT units. Now Radley Balko has a lifetime vocation.

And dont forget NO OTHER Country is as lenient with illegal immigrants as the US has been for the last 30 or so years. So everyone with a hispanic resemblance, including six of my nieces and nephews, are just gonna have to live with it.
    But they should look beyond just the current instigators and blame the people - Like US Senator John McCain- who let it get this far out of hand.

6. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

Are there any young aspiring entreprenuers on here? May I suggest opening a hair dying business in Arizona named "Legally Blond" Perhaps some English lessons and hidden rooms for rent as a side bidness.

7. pettyfog

Hispanic Racists Unite in condemnation
    Mexican president condemns Arizona immigrant law
    Actually.. that is what it's been about. That Al Sharpton is flying in to the rescue for justice and the American way puts a point on it.

I've given up on ignoring obvious hypocrisy in politics... it doesnt work I'm still called a RW and other choice labels no matter what I write on.

A racist is one who blames the problems of his group or favored group on 'The Other'.
    So yes... Rev Wright IS a Racist, if I just stop parsing cause and effect. And so is Sharpton, And JJ always has been.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Oh THIS is even better!!!
    NYT: Breathing While Undocumented
    *Once again.. even 'anti-undocumented' is too prejudicial a label for a politically CORRECT discourse, so it's just 'anti-immigrant'.. it's alla same!

Remember she is A LEARNED EXPERT on the Law!
    Now... I'd like to caveat that I'm not an attorney or even a college graduate.. but I'm a thinking human being and if anyone wants to argue for THAT point above, based on the actual law, or the new law based on the SC decision she actually cited in the article... BRING IT ON!

Added: AGAIN I want to stress that the new law WILL be abused by some, but it probably wont give Arpaio any more ammo than he's already been using under previous law.
    - What I would absolutely LOVE is for someone to take that idiot Times Square Coffee Shop broad up on how the Court's decision on schooling children of illegals has any bearing on this.

The law as passed is indeed draconian as these things go, but the section she cites is, within the context of the statute, 'bulletproofing', and not presented as 'cause for inquiry or arrest'.

Here's the AZ Senate 1070.
    - Amazing it's hard to find links to the actual bill as signed.. why is that?