If you haven't already ...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by HatterDon, Nov 7, 2006.

1. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

... get out and vote today.

Now that I'm no longer associated with the military or the gummint in any way, I only have two ways to contribute to my country -- voting and paying my taxes -- and I do both happily. Yes, the commercials make you want to wretch, and it's embarrassing to see grown, educated people squabbling over how things are worded just like they were ... uh ... Petty and me. :oops:

But go get some democracy! And, if you're old enough, have a beer and watch the election results with someone you love. 8)

Note for ChicagoTom: See the Demo candidate for governor in Ill trashed the Cubbies. Guess I know who YOU're voting for.

2. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

No, Don, that was the Republican, Judy Baar Topinka that trashed the Cubs. I will be voting for the Democrat Blagojevich today. He is not all that great, but I do not care for Topinka much at all.

3. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

RE: Re: If you haven

I woke up at 5:20AM this morning in order to vote before I have to be at work by 7AM. I get to my local polling place and stand in line for five minutes or so with a few others only to find out that the idiots running the place forgot the big book needed to verify registered voters. Who forgets that book?

Needless to say, I could not vote this morning. I have to wait until after work to cast my donkey votes. I was not happy with this. For all the hemming and hawing about voting procedures and such, you would think the polling places would have check, double-checked and triple-checked everything the night before to make sure everything was covered. I know most of these people are volunteers, but I do not think it is too much to have everything ready to go at 6AM when the polls open.

I hope others around the country do not have to deal with any such fiascos as I did this morning.

4. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Trashed the Cubbies???

Makes me want to commit election fraud in IL!!

5. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

I see dead peepul!

"No, YOU said you were bringing the book!"

Heh....

Well, for the first time EVER...I'm voting a straight GOP ticket.

Then I'm gonna write a 'Letter to the Editor" to either/both the Cols Dispatch or the Dayton Daily News.. explaining WHY.. which they wont publish because I'm not a subscriber.

6. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Unlike Petty, I will put some thought into my choices, read about their backgrounds, the planks in their platforms, their ides on the future, and THEN I will vote a straight Democratic ticket. But at least I'll know why I did.

7. pettyfog

Yeah... right!

Guess you still dunno how to read.. 'first time ever' mean anything to you?

And...
    'will'? As usual, then? lessee...

I'm voting straight ticket under protest, my REASONING then used to make a point with local GOP leaders. But then I thought 'first time ever ' might make that implication.

Anyway...
    the foofs have started already.

Hanging chad, anyone?

8. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

Petty, will you post your letter to the editor on this message board? I would like to read it. Thanks!

9. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

and I'll help with the editing! :D

10. pettyfog

Mebbe...

We had the paper-scan ballot here, first time..last election, still punch... it's 'comfy' feeling but I think it WILL put off some of the elderly, ultimately.

NOW when they dont fill out all, or miss a page, they get 'beeped'.

11. mnlandshark

mnlandshark New Member

My wife and I were number 14 and 15 at our precinct this morning... voted straight Dem ticket except for guv... picked the independent there... he won me over at the last debate... and I never really liked our dem candidate... that makes two straight guv elections where I voted for the indie...

12. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

My assumption, just to needle you some more, is that an educated voter will always vote Dem. An unscientific survey finds that Democrats just have more deep thinkers who can wrap their minds around complex problems and come up with more well thought out solutions.

Oooh, now I've touched a nerve.

13. pettyfog

Yes...

Deep thinking Democrats.
    and that's written by a Democrat

14. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

and we're better looking also.

15. mnlandshark

mnlandshark New Member

I'll second that motion!

16. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

I voted!!

Not that exciting to most, but I turned 18 a few weeks ago just in time for this election. I found it exciting! Unfortunately I was half the age of everyone else in the place. I'm glad to say that here in Minnesota we use the proven paper ballots.

Like landshark I voted for our independent for GOV. He's a good candidate. Its a damn shame he won't win.

17. mnlandshark

mnlandshark New Member

Congratulations on breaking your voting hymen, Spencer! (And yes, that was totally gross, but I figure why not... if petty doesn't like it, he'll edit me out)

It is sad that Hutchinson won't win... but I think if there's any place that can consistently revive a viable third party, it's Minnesota. We have the appetite for it and we don't like extreme politics... I think Hutchinson will make a 10%-12% showing tonight... better than the poll numbers, but not enough to win...

18. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

I've talked to sevral who felt Hutchinson was the best man for the job but opted for Hatch because they feared another Pawlenty term. Personally I find that gutless. Vote for the man or woman who you think will do the best job! :banana:

19. pettyfog

Would'a been less gross, in this case, if you'd said 'Cherry'.. but that's just my opinion.

20. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

CNN's projections on front page. This could be fun.

"Tune in for the breakdown by PettyFog!" (purposely left ambiguous)