I want a petition...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by pettyfog, Aug 27, 2007.

1. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

.. to take down The Petition Site

A couple years ago I went there to sign one of them and foolishly left the 'notify me' box on 'Actions' checked.

Now I get anywhere from 1 to 5 emails a week from them.

AND I ADMIT!!!!! I dont UNREGISTER just so I can read them and feel all intellectually superior to the sponge brained young idiots who want government action on ANYTHING that offends their sense of justice in any way.

Two things are notable... they never link to any discussion or even pending legislation if there is any; and they allow anonymous petition signing.

Both of which makes 'The Petition Site' nothing but a propaganda organ.

And this case just points out that they are unwilling to let things take their course naturally... Shining light on issues like the china manufacturing problems will result in fixing them. Government action is NOT needed.

Of course, even though I'm not college indoctr... err... educated, I wouldnt put anything in my mouth that came from China or anywhere else in the far east, except maybe spices, without cooking it thoroughly.

And if these parents had boiled Elmo for 15 minutes, the problems would be solved.

I guarantee, though, that China will either set it right in the future or US companies will stop importing from them. that's how markets work.

2. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

Agreed it’s gotten out of hand. The effect is that you instantly ignore all petitions never giving the light of day to what could actually be one worth your while.

Though it’s not nearly as annoying as people hassling you for money on the street or at home or at the library or at..........If one more smiling fundraiser tries to guilt me into handing over my wallet to US PIRG I'm going to snap. I hardly make enough cash for my classes, books, and the occasional burrito as it is much less give a couple Benjamin’s away to lobbyists every year. I know I don’t look like I have money, why do they always ask me?

3. phillybiz

phillybiz New Member

So many pan handlers out here there's a line sometimes at one preferred spot in Valley West right off the 101. Seriously. But instead of getting annoyed I've managed to turn it into an opportunity 4 some entertainment. Got a stack off applications from the safeway. Fold them up and hand them out when accosted. You should see the reaction. First a look of excitement such as opening something on Christmas morning. Which quickly leads to shock, disappointment, and the realization to beat it.