How to watch from the USA if we go down?

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by drjamesincandenza, Apr 1, 2014.

1. drjamesincandenza

drjamesincandenza New Member

OK, since it appears we're going down (to my great sadness and dismay) my main question is this: how am I going to get to watch matches whilst we are in the Championship? I'm in the U.S. 4/5 of the year but have my computer set up to think I'm in the U.K. but it's a little dodgy). Is there any way to watch *every* (or close) to every match by a team in Championship online? C'mon, folks, I needs some hope here. I won't lie, I'll probably have to at least start following Man Utd (the team my son supports) just so I have something to watch on Saturday mornings, but even while I'm in the U.S., I need to watch Fulham if it's possible. Help me out.
    James

2. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Sadly the Championship is not a very popular league here in the US, we get one match a week on BeIN Sport USA, so you're looking at perhaps 4-5 Fulham matches a year if we're lucky. Gentleman Jim and the chat is our most likely answer here at FulhamUSA. Pray for an early Fulham Christmas miracle to watch them all the time next year because it's only happening if we stay up. :(

3. astroevan

astroevan Well-Known Member

Is every Championship match televised somewhere? My guess is that if it is televised somewhere, then someone will post it online.

I've watched nearly every match this year online and it cracks me up sometimes when I see the person on the other end going through their menus on either the cable or their computer.

4. AggieMatt

AggieMatt Well-Known Member

They must have cameras at every match b/c they're able to show highlights for the Football League highlights shows. I know Sky only broadcast a handful of games per week though (which are broadcast on BeIn or FSC here). So is there an open feed without commentary and is it being transmitted or are they simply recording?

I guess our project for this summer will be to seek out some US supporters of clubs like Spam, the Toon, Reading, etc and see what they've done. A site like Big Soccer (if that's still around) would probably be a good start. That or hit up the bloggers on places like SBNation, etc and see what they have to say. And of course, we can contact FFC and ask as well (hello, Mike?). I was listening to Cottage Talk a few weeks ago ahead of the Newcastle match and the US Toon blogger they had on sounded like he was able to watch every match online via a Newcastle TV type setup the year they were down? He wasn't really clear on that and the hosts didn't ask any follow up questions. I may have to give it another listen. Maybe I wasn't paying close enough attention as I'm usually multi-tasking when I listen to that show.

Anyway, it doesn't look good, but it may not be quite as bleak as we're expecting.

5. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

I don't know, Matt, when I go looking for Championship match streams now I only see one match available each time. There are cameras at the matches, but I think broadcast rights are the major hold-up for there not being many streams out there. There's not a lot matches shown at that level on TV anywhere as far as I can tell. I think somebody mentioned on our Facebook group, that there aren't many Championship matches shown on TV in England and some might show up on some sort PPV or high tier channels.

Here's a TV schedule
    http://www.football-league.co.uk/page/TVGamesDetail

It ain't looking good for us right now. When I was following Bobby Convey at Reading for awhile they had a special radio feed kinda like GJ for supporters to listen to and that was about it. If Newcastle had a special viewing stream when they went it down then I have some hope, but I kinda doubt it. I imagine that would run foul of broadcasting rights in some way with BeIN in this country.

6. LaxAttack

LaxAttack Well-Known Member

Hell, they don't even get all the Premier League games on TV in England like we do in the US.

7. jimsig

jimsig Active Member

Yep, we can watch every match thanks to NBC, but those in England can't?!?! Crazy

8. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

The Championship currently licenses about 75 league games to Sky (that's about 1-2 per weekend). That package is then sold to outlets across the world, such as BeIn Sports here.

Yet because of the (stupid anachronistic) blackout laws in England, no games at 3pm GMT/10am EST can be televised domestically...a kickoff time which that encompasses like 98% of the entire Football League.

Do the math: unless Fulham are specifically playing at 1230 GMT (730 EST), or some random Friday afternoon, they won't be on tv. (That is unless the club offers some international channel, but I don't see that happening.)

So it's either GJ or ~15 seconds of pirated highlights on that god awful Football League Show.

Don't know about you but I'm going to find a new hobby in the interim

9. LaxAttack

LaxAttack Well-Known Member

Championship teams have been putting up quality ~2 minute highlights the day after games on most youtube channels for the teams this season.

10. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

11. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I'm with Matt on this. Given league, league cup, and FA Cup coverage over here, there's a reasonable chance to see Fulham play as many as a half-dozen matches next season. That's about how many we were getting before Setanta cratered and were acquired by Fox Soccer Channel. For those that aren't covered, Gentleman Jim for me, and whatever highlights the official site has.

I wonder how lonely this site will be this time next season.

12. astroevan

astroevan Well-Known Member

It probably depends on whether we're in the top 6 in the table or not.

13. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

For a preview -- both of the Championship and how it's covered on TV -- set your DVR for 1800 Eastern. Leicester City [going for promotion] against Sheffield Wednesday [w/Gooch] are playing on beIN Sports. This is tape delayed 3 hours.