Houston wins, DC draws in Cup openers

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by pettyfog, Mar 16, 2007.

1. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Houston has a good chance to advance in Champions Cup, as their 2nd half resurgence gave them a healthy 2-0 aggregate lead over Pachuca.

While DC struggled to regain equilibrium, getting a goal late in stoppage to draw CD Guadalajara 1-1. New recruit, Former Fulham reserve, Casali was on the roster for the game.

Since both have to travel to Mexico, the second leg will be more difficult. However, as neither match in scheduled for Azteca, it shouldnt be impossible

2. DCDave

DCDave Member

I saw a lot of the game, switching back and forth with a Michigan Tech playoff hockey game on Fox Sports North.

Look out for Luciano Emilio! He's the guy they picked up from Olimpia scored the tying goal on a beautiful header off a corner. He's already got 4 goals this season, as he scored 3 in the sweep of his former club, Olimpia. The header reminded me of a certain former MLS star now plying his trade in the EPL...

3. DCDave

DCDave Member

In other DC United news, they've signed a Brazilian from an Australian team. In the tradition of Brazilian players, he goes by one name. However, it's not something lyrical, like Ronaldo, or Ronaldino. It's "Fred". Fred? Not even Frederico. Just "Fred".

4. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Saw only the second half of the Houston game. The commentators said there is no away-goal rule, which is really surprising (and unfortunate for both US clubs). That said, good showing for 2 teams in still in the preseason.

There was a "Fred" that scored this past World Cup, think he plays in Spain or Italy. So for you Dave, hope your "Fred" is comparable to that "Fred".

5. Optimizer

Optimizer New Member

Emilio is a great signing for DC. Too bad I like RBNY.

Good on Houston to establish a good lead against Pachuca. I'd like to see both teams make it to the final; but Houston is in a much more favorable position than DC. Hard to imagine both teams are still in pre-season form.

6. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

Great result for Houston and decent for DC. It'll be tough for Houston down in Mexico City but they may manage to hold on. Shame Moreno missed his chance to make it three. Pretty hard to see DC coming up with a win in Guadjalara.

Hope one of the two makes it through to the final!

7. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

Well DCU put in a good effort down in Guadalajara last night but thanks to the brilliance of Troy Perkins(he made even Lustuvka look like Gigi Buffon) they lost 2-1 and thus the aggregate 3-2.

Hope Houston can pull up the MLS banner tomorrow night in Mexico City.

8. Optimizer

Optimizer New Member

I feel bad for Perkins and DC United. They were unlucky to have given that goal up and not equalize in the second half (a shot hit the post). While it sucks that they lost, I hope a lot of people's eyes can be opened to the fact that some MLS teams are pretty dang good to go into another country in another team's stadium with very little away support and do pretty dang well in the game.

Go Houston! Go to the final!

9. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

Perkins in hiding

No kidding, it was pretty funny seeing those three gringo's proudly dressed in their DCU colors trying to make as much noise as they could. I was wondering had DC won would they make it out of there alive!

Have to love the dedication.