Hot Stove League

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by HatterDon, Dec 12, 2007.

1. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Stunned to see the Astros mentioned as the massacre in Glasgow ended:

http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/story/10526336

The winter trading is well under way. I remember Tejada as an iron man with a killer bat, but lasst year he didn't play his usual 162, so perhaps he's hurting enough to bring to MMP.

Hate to lose Luke Scott. Especially for yet another right handed slugger. The only lefty with any authority we have is Berkman, and I'd like to see a little more balance. He should love Camden Yards.

As for the others, Oriole fans, Matt Albers is the goods, but here's the think: Astro's pitchers know they have a short left field fence and train themselves to go for flyballs to center, where it's a 6 buck cab ride from home plate to the flagpole. The problem at CY is that there's no place for a flyball pitcher to go, and so there's always going to be young pitchers pitching well and getting lit up. What a beautiful park with such ridiculous dimensions.

Any road, let the trading continue!

2. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

going to school here and most likely staying after graduation, i've been piqued with the orioles and i gotta say i'm not that surprised with the deal.

tejada wants to win, angelos wants to save money...both win, right?

feel bad for all the orioles fans though. someone needs to step up and buy this franchise before it kills itself. (oh wait...did that 10 years ago)

3. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Growing up as a kid in the 70's the Orioles were a class organization and certainly one of the Big Boys. That owner has turned a baseball town w/a constantly full Camden Yards totally off, the only time they get sellouts now is when half the crowd is Yankee or Red Sox fans.

Five for Tejada seems extreme (since he is definitely on the downslide, but playing in that little park might rejuvenate), so the Astros must think 3 of those kids won't ever see the Bigs.

4. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

I can't say I know much about those prospects that Baltimore is getting, but I do know that Tejada is on the downslide of his career. A change of scenery might help him, but ultimately, I think his best days are way behind him. I would be shocked if his name was not mentioned in the Mitchell Report that is getting released today.

5. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

His name was mentioned. Not a big surpirse there. I think he is gonna do much better with a change of scenery though.

I am getting pissed off at the mariners management. It seems as though Kuroda chose the Dodgers over us and we are not even close to contending for either Santana and Bedard. Something big needs to happen even if this means giving up Adam Jones. I love Jones, but Santana is a damn cy young award winner. Time to make some moves and do something with this crap pitching staff.

6. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

FFC24, for some reason I have always liked the Mariners, but getting a guy like Santana or Bedard is going to require not just giving up one prospect like Adam Jones, but three and maybe even four prospects like that. I do not know what the Mariners have in their farm system, but I am guessing they do not have the kind of players the Angels, Yankees and Red Sox have that they are offering.

In addition, being a White Sox and Phillies fan, I empathize with you in having to realize that a place like the South Side of Chicago, Philadelphia and Seattle are not the most desirable locations for players to be playing in. That is not to say the teams are not good and that the towns are not bad, but for whatever reason free agents and big scale trades rarely take place for those teams with big time players coming to those teams in those cities.

I would love nothing more than to see Santana on the Mariners, but I just do not see how they have the prospects or that Santana would even want to come to Seattle if they did have the prospects.

7. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

The only reason why a big name player has not been signed or traded is because our GM does not have the balls to make a move. I can assure you that the Mariners have loads of talent in their farm system. If we wanted Santana and Bedard could be a Mariner, but Bavasi does not like to make big moves. We could trade away Morrow,Jones and another prospect and still have the talent in the system to maybe make another smaller move. I really do not want Bedard though as the Orioles seem to want more than we would give up for Santana.

It is not just pitching I am worried about I think we need a new 1B. Sexson is crap and needs to go. Maybe trade away Chen(Our stud 2B) and another prospect for a decent 1B. I think that since we did indeed trade away for a 2B today that either Lopez or Chen is leaving.

8. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I can vouch for what FFC24 is saying. Prior to the 2007 season, San Antonio was Seattle's AA franchise. They had some seriously good talent at this level -- much of which was up with the big club last year.

I can also vouch for what SCJ was saying about the Orioles. I lived in Anne Arundel county in the early 80s and saw between 20-25 games a year. Not only did the Orioles have a great team, they had a superb farm system and the best organization in baseball. Everybody wanted to play for them. Those days are gone, and it's a shame

9. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

I guess the point I am making is that Santana or Bedard simply do not want to play in Seattle. If you say they have the talent to trade for him, I believe you, but players want to win and they want to be in the playoffs every season. Perhaps Seattle will be in the playoffs every season, but with the Angels in that division it will be tough and I doubt that is a realistic thought.

10. DCDave

DCDave Member

I've heard that Santana wants to be traded only to the Red Sox or the Yankees (mainly because he thinks they're the only clubs that will fork over the $ he wants), but I haven't heard anything about Bedard saying that.

Players want to go to teams where management has shown an interest in winning, and Seattle has done that by it's spending and development the last few years. Long term (next 5-10 years), they're future is as bright as most other clubs.

The Angles are tough, but I'm not sure how tough. I don't think Torii Hunter is that great of a player, and they can be gotten in the next few years. Really, the only clubs that are probables for the playoffs every year are the Red Sox and the Yanks. Everybody else goes up and down.

11. SoCalJoe

Dave, I know you're a Tigers fan, so with that new line-up, you better include yourself in the conversation. I along w/my brother-in-law (another die-hard Halos fan) were extremely p.o that the Tigers got Cabrera from the Marlins. On the flip side we were happy the Angels didn't trade Howie Kendrick (2B, hit .322 while breaking his hand) for Tejada (would have done it for Cabrera, but no-way for Tejada).

12. IanHux

IanHux New Member

Well Santana is almost a NY Met...... the M's could've used him because their rotation was lackluster despite an improved offense. I wish they still had the likes of Freddy Garcia and Jamie Moyer (sadly both were doomed by poor bats)

13. dave2d2

dave2d2 New Member

Santana is a Met now. Second highest paid player in he game. Being a Met fan I have to admit I am excited about the prospects of a pitcher with his talent throwing the ball a Shea ( a pitcher's park).

14. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

If Angelos would sanction the deal then Bedard would be a Mariner. Unfortunately I am thinking this is not gonna happen.

15. SoCalJoe

The Mariners just picked up Bedard (my brother the M's fan just sent me a text telling me where I can put my Halo). Bedard and King Felix at the top of an already good rotation makes them a very dangerous team.

16. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

Can you say first place in the AL West. The M's now have a rotation that is at the very least on par with the Halos and a batting lineup that is pretty damn good. I expect Beltre to have a breakout year and Sexson cannot be any worse than he was last year. Oh, and don't forget that we have maybe the best defense in all of baseball. This could be the year folks.

17. IanHux

IanHux New Member

Hey, finally something Bavasi got right! I was angry when he picked up Jeff Weaver (i still wonder to this day). This more than makes up for it and now they should be able to stay in the playoff and pennant races.