Hillsborough Anniversary

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by pettyfog, Apr 15, 2009.

1. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Surprised this hasnt been posted yet. I cut and pasted this from Dak77 on the Crew BS board:

2. Martin-in-Nashville

Martin-in-Nashville New Member

It was a terrible terrible day I watched on tv live as it happend nobody knew what was going on till it was too late and lives were lost I still cant believe it's 20 years.

A brief story behind this tragedy is that thousands of supporters turned up with and without tickets the game started and many supporters were still outside rather then allow a riot start the police opened the gates and let everyone in, a stampede started to erupt and thousands fought to get into the ground to watch the match, the staduim had erected fencing all around the pitch to stop supporters getting onto the pitch, thousand were crushed and 96 lost their life, to this day I dont think anyone has taken responsabilty for this tragedy, hence why English staduims then introduced all seated grounds to stop this from happening again. I hope this helps everyone understand this tragedy a bit better.

The BBC is covering it also with some very graphic pictures.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/7999279.stm

3. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

I remember this day surprisingly well, considering I was 20 years old and all I knew about Liverpool was the Beatles.

I remember the photo of one man, I'm fairly sure he passed on, with unruly hair and a beard looking like he was crushed against the fence and couldn't move. Bless him, al 96 who passed, and all of their families.