Hillary holds on to pledged delegates

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by pettyfog, Jun 11, 2008.

1. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Seems there's a lot of hysteria over this. Obama's camp wants all the delegates needed for official nomination prior to the convention

But as pointed out, here, it's not unusual to do a first ballot at conventions in order to honor the 'also-rans' and to make a point as to where the ultimate support is coming from.

2. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

You're spot on, 'fog. This also gives the delegates a chance to actually do some stuff that might even get them on television. It's pro forma. Remember 1972? There were like 86 McClosky delegates against a zillion for Nixon, but they still did the roll call, and the pledged delegates still voted.

Silly, petty stuff -- and indication of amateurs in charge.

3. jmh

jmh New Member

Hillary needs to bow out gracefully and find a way to make all this infighting stop.

4. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Josh, she's already acknowledged Obama as the candidate. She's pledged her support to get him elected. Why does she have to disappear completely in order for the Obama campaign to stop stamping their little feet? She has drawn a lot of attention to the party this year. She's earned a butt-load of delegates. This means that a lot of people voted for her. They -- including me -- believe their votes put her into a position of power at the convention in terms of platform, etc.

She's earned a right to be nominated, to have votes cast for her, to make a speech, to influence the campaign. So have Romney, Giuliani, and Ron Paul.

90% of the "division in the party" was created by political pundits of both sides. It now appears that the other 10% is in the Obama camp, who aren't satisfied with winning, but will only be appeased when Hillary falls on her sword. I am sure that Obama does NOT share that pitiful insecurity, just as I'm sure that if there really is a to do about this, it ain't Hillary's fault.

5. FulhamAg

FulhamAg New Member

Hillary = Rasputin? You'd think so with the way so many are treating her withdrawal.

Course, we are talking about the Clintons here, so I certainly understand their paranoia.

6. jmh

jmh New Member

I don't want or expect her to "disappear completely." (She's the junior Senator from my state, after all.) What she needs to do, though, is make sure that her supporters (some of whom are zealots, just as is the case for any politician with a strong personality) don't make a big stink at the convention and give the country the impression that the issue isn't settled when it actually is - the appearance of infighting would be just as significant as actual infighting.

So, yes, I agree that her delegates should be at the convention. I agree that she should have an opportunity to speak at the convention, and in a time slot when she'll have an audience. I agree that her delegates should be seated (I think that's the right word) and that they should vote for her. What I don't want is for them to start trumpeting the "eighteen million people" and "won the popular vote" stuff that she was hanging her hat on even when it was obvious she wasn't going to get a majority of the delegates, and thereby give that appearance of infighting.

I guess my original post was phrased incorrectly. Hillary has, as I understand it, acted gracefully since she acknowledged defeat. What I'm asking here is that she does what she can to make sure that her hardcore supporters also act gracefully.