Hey.. A Beer Thread!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by pettyfog, Mar 12, 2016.

1. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

{And about time... from looking at the 'Similar threads' popup.}

Dos Equis -yay-, owner Heineken -yuck- is replacing TMIMitW.
    - His last spot has him heading off to Mars. with a Blonde, natch. Because of Trump?
    Lots of good info there.. read it.

- Here's a list of 100 TMIMitW 'quotes' Only one missing is where he personally trained Chuck Norris as his protege and Norris failed.

Here's my Dos Equis anecdotes.
    - First tried it in Livonia MI. In the late seventies.
    - Think that's odd? My first Sam Adams was in Denver.
    - After a meeting in LA, in late 80's, six of us met at happy hour in hotel bar next door. 1 guy ordered a mixed drink, the rest ordered Corona with lime. By the time it came around to me I was practically smirking. I said "Dos Equis, peanuts". The waiter grinned. After that I was the first at the table addressed by him.

What are YOUR beer anecdotes. And sorry.. but I dont think craft beer conversations are interesting at all.
    - Once I was with a guy who raved on about some local Craft Haus, while holding a Coors Lite.

But do what you want, I'm not a 'progressive'. :)

Last edited: Mar 12, 2016
    SoCalJoe likes this.
  2. AggieMatt

AggieMatt Well-Known Member

I had my first Dos Equis while at A&M. I was introduced to drinking it with salt & lime but I don't think beer should be that fussy, so I dropped the additions. I like the amber, but the green isn't much better than Corona, imo.

3. pettyfog

Agree! never tried 'green'; But, hey, MARKETING. It's why there is the Oxymoron 'Coors Lite'. As if Coors wasnt 'light' to begin with.

4. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Thank Gawd for this thread! Need to get my mind off the team for a second. I never drink Dos XX here, but it's practically all I drink when south of the border, it's really crisp and fresh there (more like Pacifico or Tsingtao). A group of us went to Rosarito south of Tijuana for the first time in years last month, and while on the beach enjoyed the thatched umbrellas, ocean view, and mariachis with iced buckets of the green bottles. My brother in-law was struggling opening the them for us with a tiny keychain opener, when our waiter came by and twisted it off (we were shocked). He gave us a smile and a wink, and it wasn't until the next day that he confessed that the bottles are now twist off in Mexico, we shared a laugh about it.

Huge craze out here now are breweries that have popped up in LA/Orange County/San Diego that somehow have found a loophole where they are located industrial parks and have 'tasting rooms' and aren't considered 'bars'. They serve 'flights' instead of pints (4-6 samplers). Some really good stuff being produced/ with the occasional clunker thrown in. The one that stands out was a peanut butter stoudt that could of been poured over vanilla ice cream for a float.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2016
  5. pettyfog

I take it back... good one!

6. jumpkutz

jumpkutz Well-Known Member

Started out on Hamm's. Still a good beer, imo. Don't drink much anymore, not too picky about all the craft beer stuff. Still like Foster's, though not as much as before. Had some good beers in Australia in September but sadly their top seller, Victoria Bitter (which ISN'T bitter) isn't sold here (too much for shipping). James Boag's was good, also had Asahi (Japan) while there, both very good. So was Crown Lager. Had a couple of drafts that I really liked at a tapas restaurant in Sydney, but can't remember what they were. Aussie beers are hard to get over here, though. I like darks and bocks too, especially the smooth ones. Used to drink Stroh's Bock back in the day when it was seasonal. Also like Labatt's, Red Stripe, Michelob and a few of the German non-alcoholics, Clausthaler, Haacke Beck (now just Beck's na) and one other one that I can't find anymore.

7. astroevan

astroevan Well-Known Member

My wife made Guinness milkshakes one time.

I'm a beer aficionado - it's pretty much all I drink (as far as alcohol goes). I don't consider myself a snob though; I just know what I like and given the options of a tap list, I will likely choose a craft beer over a BMC (bud, miller, coors) any day. That said I won't bore you with my craft beer conversations. I will say, though, that the craft community cracks me up as a whole. I love going to beer forums and reading about some poor guy who *had* to drink a Budweiser because it was the only thing offered at a party.

Saying you like beer and then railing on the macro breweries is a bit ironic, don't you think?

encorespanish and SoCalJoe like this.
  8. pettyfog

lol.. Yeah, I'd think that would be sufficient.

Thing strike me is how tastes come and go. From both sides of the process.
    As a kid, I started with Carling Black Label... a really popular brand when most were local/regional... eg Cincinnati alone had about 5 different brewers in the fifties.
    By the time I got out of the Navy, it was almost off the shelves and it tasted AWFUL to me.. was it me or the process?
    Switched to Strohs, for years. So did a lot of other people until Strohs expanded its operations to the point of drinker apathy.
    - One anecdote. When I ordered Strohs while in Detroit, I hated it. Asked my cousin he said he didnt know any local Strohs drinkers. Wondered if it was the ride down I-75 that shook it down and made it to taste better.
    Miller beer has always given me an instant headache and once made me physically ill. Granted I started the night off with about 4 Strohs.
    - Noted the resurgence, in the 00's, of PBR among the hipsters on the left coast. I agreed. Pretty decent if ordinary if only 1 or 2. Which has been my limit for decades.

Now I prefer Yuengling* for usual, Dos Equis second, Sam Adams third.
    *Yuengling's expansion into Ohio was a stroke of marketing genius. It was an instant sales leader.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2016
  9. encorespanish

encorespanish Active Member

Hey now! This is a sandbox that I can play in and really get behind! Beer me!!!

I'm in the same boat as @astroevan in that 99% of the time I choose beer of the craft variety (what does that even mean anyway?), but there's definitely something to be said for SCJ's image of drinking Dos Equis in Rosarito! I would never pass that up!

I, like many of you, started on the lager side of the house...Busch Light, Natural Light and Natural Ice, Coors Light, etc. Beer that didn't kill your cash account was great, free beer was better.

My taste preference moved on to Stella Artois and Newcastle, which gradually progressed into Alaskan Amber and Anchor Steam. From there the reigns came off and while I don't discriminate against any particular beer style and I tend to lean to the IPA side of the house... although free beer still beats everything!

Cheers all!

SoCalJoe likes this.