heart breaking/warming article

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by bostoncottage, Nov 13, 2008.

1. bostoncottage

bostoncottage New Member

2. richardhkirkando

richardhkirkando New Member

Great stories, thanks for posting the link. Fulham signed Daniel Owusu and King Gyan Osei from the Right to Dream Academy, so I'll bet they donated the shirts then.

I've been thinking that, with all of the talent coming out of west Africa lately, I would think that these countries should be able to put forth some strong domestic leagues. Something on par with the smaller European or South American countries should be obtainable, eventually. Money is a huge factor, but as more talent is discovered, I think we might see more sizeable transfer fees being paid to African clubs.

3. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Here's the thing. Name a 3rd-world country that has a top class football league. Even in South America, only Brazil and Argentina have decent leagues, and both of them have strong economies. In order for there to be a strong domestic league, there needs to be several domestic corporate entities generating wealth. You just don't have that in much of Africa and Asia.

It's also why Scotland has two major clubs, four minor ones, and a bunch of Nationwide Conference-level sides filling out the SPL and Div 1. Wales has a league on a par with perhaps the Isthmian League, as does Northern Ireland and Eire. All of these nations turn out top-class talent, but all of it has to leave to make decent money.

The only Non-Americas/Non-Europe region that has the financial infrastructre to create a top-quality league -- the Middle East -- just doesn't have the domestic talent.

It's a thang.

4. Optimizer

Optimizer New Member

In addition, it's not enough to have the domestic talent and a population that loves soccer. You need the infrastructure, you need facilities for the team and where the games should play, and as Don mentioned, a lot of money from sponsors and owners.

Though I would like to nitpick Don that the Mexican First Division is a solid league in the region with a fairly large money in it despite a rather impoverished nation.

All things aside, it is an excellent article and it is a shame that more cannot join the Academy.