Happy Independence Day!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by sullytex, Jul 4, 2009.

1. sullytex

sullytex Member

Little homesick today. However, there is a great atmosphere here in Henley as the annual Royal Regatta is going on. Town is heaving with people.

A few American Flags flying around town. Saw Princeton 8's crush somebody yesterday. Going down today with the wife (Mom in law over taking care of the little one) to enjoy a few pints of Pimms and champagne.

Be safe and enjoy the 4th!

2. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

Happy 4th all!! Happy birthyday America -- 233 years young.

3. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Happy 4th everyone!

4. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

Yes, Happy Fourth of July to all of you! And, if you will, lift a glass or take a few moments to remember what the founders did for us. I'm truly in awe when I think about their sacrifice. Amazing. And then to remember that Adams and Jefferson both died on this day also.

And here's hoping that an American woman wins at Wimbeldon today

5. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Brings back memories of me celebrating the 4th in York City, circa 1980.
    Try as I might I could not convince Brits that they had cause to celebrate it, as well, as it freed them from the yoke of being perennial colonial masters, afraid to grant self-determination due to other European countries stepping in to fill the vacuum. Instead, a pint or two inside some bellicose Brits gave rise to blaming the US for the cold summer.
    - Mount St Helens, for you young'uns.

Ah, well...
    Time to reflect that this nation was formed by outcasts and adventurers, not afraid to risk security in the name of liberty and individual expression, while under the blessing of God.
    Sadly things have changed, we are in the process of giving up the right to individual self determination and expression in the name of personal security and fairness.

Be that as it may, I firmly believe that is transitory. God is evident in his permissions, and influences. That He allows us to err in so many ways before he applies the correction, thus affirming his love is beyond our ken, but it's happened time and again in history. This will be no exception.

As long as some of us understand we cannot count on the 'Establishment of Heaven on Earth' by man. And that all things of man are imperfect, {Think Kings David and Solomon} we will have a chance to survive.

It behooves us to resist the State Religion now being established and remember from whom all blessings, small as they are, flow.

God Bless and Keep America safe.
    - - - - - - - -
    A history of the celebration
    The Sacrifices of the Signers

6. Martin-in-Nashville

Martin-in-Nashville New Member

As a Brit living in the US I was asked a few years ago why we didnt celebrate the 4th of July?

I just said we were to busy celebrating the remaining 364 days of the year, we need a break.

HAPPY 4th Americans

7. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

Happy 4th to all the FulhamUSA'ers. It has always been my favorite holiday of the year and I get homesick every 4th when I'm away.

I'm less homesick this year as Dorking, the town I live in, is actually celebrating it en mass. Why you ask? Since a Pilgrim father grew up and lived here most of his life, they feel some sort of attachment. American beers on special and katy and I even went to a TGI Fridays to have dinner and a few American cocktails and beers. Not the same but good enough for me.

Happy Independence day all.

8. pettyfog

Bond-a-palooza!

Mikey!!!!
    I figured it was something like that.. but tell me this: If they got rid of them, then why didnt they change the Town's name?

- - - -- - - - - - -

Speaking of 'hands across the Water, I hope some of you have joined me in watching the James Bond Independence Day Marathon on USANetwork

I'm slashing my way out of the irony as we speak.
    - - - - -- - - -- -
    On the same subject, blogger Jules Crittenden advises a brit friend how to do a July 4 cookout.
    We join the email exchange in progress:

9. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

A bit disapointed that you turned this "Happy Birthday USA" thread into a partisan political rant, but more than pleased to see such strong expressions of religious fervor from you. So many nice things to say about God must certainly mean that you're finally about to start going to church once in a while, right?

10. pettyfog

Nothing's changed, I just said what I believe. You're right, I should go, but going to church doesnt make a believer, neither does saying 'I'm a Christian'.

11. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

No, but going to church does give you the opportunity to let in some ideas that you aren't going to pick up from soccer sites, political blogs or 24-hour news networks.

Be careful, though. If you do what I did and drop in out of curiosity after more than 30 years of lapsed attendance, you might wind up joining a church, attending services almost every Sunday [not to mention spending three Tuesday evenings a month and every Thursday evening there as well], and then giving them money too!

Give it a shot, Jim. There's nothing like a good preacher to "comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable." :wink: