Happy 4th of July weekend everyone.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by SoCalJoe, Jul 3, 2008.

1. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Thought I'd get this one in early since tomorrow always seems to involve a lot of running around. Curious to hear what everyone's plans/traditions are for the weekend.

We are going to our friend's home in Indio and will deal w/the 115 degree heat by staying in the pool, and won't have to leave the backyard since the fireworks can be seen from their house.

2. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Happy FOURTH, Joe... and good luck to Californians during the long weekend... may nobody's house burn down Here's hoping the idiots in the dry areas forego the fireworks. Oh, that's right... then they WOULDNT be idiots.
    :)

3. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

SCJ; chill as best you can. Indio is hot in February!

We're resurrecting our cookout, soiree, and anklebite for a few close friends [We cancelled Memorial Day since HatterMom was out of town]. I'll be up about 0600 to get the smoker started -- 4 slabs of ribs -- and then about noon, I'll put the chicken and sausage in the Weber. We'll hang about the cement pond, but there won't be a lot of Margaritas since around 6 o'clock, we're all heading down to Southtown for the kickoff of contemporary art month -- the 4th is also "First Friday."

I'm not sure of what we can expect in the way of fireworks. Usually they do some at Fiesta Texas or Sea World San Antonio. We're having a dreadful drought, though, and we've been under a burn ban since March.

Everybody be safe, have a good time, and -- sometime during the day -- raise a glass to Mikey and the lads on the right coast.

Happy Birthday, America! :banana:

4. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

Happy 4th of July to all!!

5. GaryBarnettFanClub

GaryBarnettFanClub New Member

Yes, yes, yes. Happy indep......... userpers, bah.

I can't believe that my children's school are celebrating 4th July - it would be like the French celebrating Trafalgar or Waterloo!

Anyhow - I hope you all have a wonderful time.

GBFC.

6. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

:3d laughing:

7. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

I ALWAYS thought the Brits should celebrate the 4th. It was a milestone for western civilization and a guidepost to the second half of the British Empire.

That the basic seeds planted by the Magna Carta and English Common Law should bear fruit in the establishment of the idea that a man's country was every man's country, not just the King's and his nobles.

Make no mistake, the British COULD have crushed the rebellion like an elephant stepping on an ant hill. That they didnt, preferring instead to make the best of the situation by having a cousin/ally going his own way, but modeled somewhat on British basic principle is a tribute to making the right decision for the times.

8. BarryP

BarryP New Member

I hope everyone has a happy and safe 4th of July!

I will be manning the grill in the late morning/early afternoon followed by some backyard soccer and few games of hotbox with the kids in the late afternoon. The evening will most likely consist of watching fireworks from the nearby country club and possibly a little MLS action on HDNet.

9. RidgeRider

RidgeRider Member

Happy 4th to all from Tahoe! We'll be at Donner Lake all day enjoying the frigid water, BBQ's and sunshine.

Just hoping that we will actually be able to breath some slightly clean air. :)

10. jmh

jmh New Member

Happy 232 birthday, America!

11. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

It's a Donner "Party!"

:banana:

12. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Whatever will they eat? :3d laughing:

13. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

Well, they could have crushed us early on when they were just trying to teach those pesty colonists a lesson, but they did unsuccessfully try to crush us later in the war. The Brits didn't eactly make the best of the situation and let us on our merry way, they did kill quite a few Americans and always wanted and intended to keep the access to the trade and trade routes that the colonies provided. To make the best of the situation, they should have listened to the great William Pitt and Edmund Burke.

Anyway, I do agree and am grateful that our nation was so influenced by British laws, government, and their Civil War struggle (as the colonies' communities and governments were being formulated during this time).

Happy Fourth everyone

14. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

Happy 4th to all of my FUSA friends.

And thank you Pettyfog for your post above...

15. RDG

RDG Member

Happy th of July Weekend!

Tomorrow, I am celebrating one of the cat's birthday. Oh, yeah, and then after a day of catnapping for all, there are fireworks on the East River.

As for Saturday . . . Mike, what AM I doing?? Sunday, I shall be trying to get rid of a hangover and wondering where I am; afterwards, I shall send out apology cards to all.

Oh, and don't worry, I plan on taking lots of pictures, so I can be well and truly embarassed.

A SAFE and happy weekend to all!!

16. krhimself

krhimself New Member

Happy 4th to everyone :rock:

Off to see a fireworks display later on tonight, should be fun times.

17. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

It's a beautiful 4th in Cleveland, about 73 degrees, and grilling time is a few hours away. So, on a great summer holiday, happy 4th to all of FUSA!

18. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

RE: Happy th of July Weekend!

Of course, probably preaching to the choir, but MLS would do well to make 4th of July like Boxing day, no?

19. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

well, like the days, we've dwindled down to a precious few. Most have gone home. It's been a near perfect day.

Ribs smoked for 5.5 hours and were perfect. So were the chicken and the sausage. The go-withs our friends brought were great. The rain held off until all the cooking and eating and swimming was done. We had small children and people nearly 20 years older than me to entertain us.

Life is good; good night FulhamUSA & Happy Birthday America!

20. jimsig

jimsig Active Member

RE: Happy th of July Weekend!

Happy 4th to all.