Greatest Laker of all Time!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by HatterDon, Jun 14, 2008.

?

Who's the Greatest Laker Ever?

1. Elgin Baylor

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Jerry West

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Wilt Chamberlain

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Magic Johnson

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. George Mikan

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Gail Goodrich

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Kobe Bryant

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Shaquille O'Neal

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Someone else, you idiot!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

This spurred my interest with 24's debate with Barry last night.

So, including the Minneapolis Lakers, I've provided a list of players many would feel could compete for the greatest Laker of all time. If you're interested, cast a vote. The neat thing about a poll, is that none of us gets to vote more than once. Tom, ChicagoFan, Belle, and others from That Tottling Town, pm me and I'll explain how some people only get to vote once! :twisted:

My personal choice: Elgin Baylor.

2. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

I have to look at that list (without James Worthy) and say it's hard just to make a starting five. "The Logo" Jerry West averaged 29 a game in his playoff career. Never saw him or Elgin play, but it's amazing they couldn't get past the Celtics.

No matter the thread my vote goes to the most unique player of all time... Magic. A 6' 9" point guard that arguably played the greatest final game of all time at center (when Kareem was hurt). Not only was he amazing, he made every player around him better.

3. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

It goes like this.

Kobe is #1

Magic a close #2nd and the 3rd best player of all time

Kareem at #3

Obviously this is very close as all 3 players are in the top 10 of all-time in my book, BUT nobody has the skill set and the passion that Kobe has. Not only that, but he's already in many peoples top 2 of all time in the NBA even though he has yet to hit 30. I know I'm young and haven't seen every Laker play alot, but I've seen enough out of all the greats to know that Kobe is the best.

4. BarryP

BarryP New Member

I was an avid Larry Bird fan and even I have to admit that the most talented player on the court for the Celtics-Laker finals series was more often than not the "Magic" man. He made LA relevant again and broke my heart many times.

5. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

M-A-G-I-C

He made quite an impression on this young kid in his day. And I was rooting for the Celtics then!

6. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Definitely Magic... cause he was 'Magic'.

That's an impressive list, including Jerry West, but Kobe mainly stands out at this point because he's the best of what's left.

7. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

I put Wilt the stilt for his 100 pointer

8. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

The only reason why I didn't put Wilt on my list was because he didn't play that long for the Lakers. He's still the best big man of all-time. He's better than Kareem, but Kareem played longer for us.

9. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

No Kurt Rambis?

Magic. With Mr. West 2nd.

10. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Had I time enough and world enough, the list would have been extended to James Worthy and Bob McAdooooooooooooooooooooooo.

A shame so few of you got to see Elgin Baylor play. He had the most complete game I'd ever seen until MJ came along.

11. BarryP

BarryP New Member

Not to change the topic but Oscar Robertson was the player I always wish I could have watched in his prime.

12. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

BarryP, The Big O was truly amazing. Until MJ came along, he was my choice for the greatest NBA player of all time.

As for Baylor, he basically created the modern "small forward" position about 10 years before anyone else ever had one. The only players I saw who had his mixture of inside and outside game [prior to MJ -- and then only for a very short time] were Connie Hawkins and Spencer Haywood.

13. SoCalJoe

I'm agreeing w/24??? :shock: Kareem is the best center in Laker history because of long-gevity. Wilt came to LA after his prime (Mo, his 100 pointer was w/Philly). In his autobiography (yes there was more to it than 10k women comment), The Stilt said that the year the Lakers won 33 in a row (and the title) that him and Jerry West were well past their prime w/Gail Goodrich being the best player on the team.

14. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

I watched Baylor alot on Tape because my dad said he was amazing. He was, but I don't think he's in the top 3 of all time for the Lakers. Top 5 for sure, but not top 3. Although we've had SO many great players that it's hard to pick and choose after Magic and Kobe.

15. dave2d2

dave2d2 New Member

It has got to be Wilt. No one dominated like Chamberlain.

16. SoCalJoe

Never saw Wilt play so I had to look up his stats, and the numbers are pretty staggering and borderline silly. The man averaged 50 pts and 25 rebounds for an entire season. However, all his best years were w/the Warriors. He played 5 years w/the Lakers and while his rebounding number were still excellent (around 19 per) his scoring dropped big (his last two seasons he averaged 14 points).