Google Chrome

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by pettyfog, Sep 3, 2008.

1. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Before you download and install it, you should read this:

Warning on Chrome EULA

Just in case you dont think that matters, it means google has the rights to everything you upload, write, create or in some cases download using their browser.

Of course those good liberal boys wouldnt mean anything harmful by that wording. And they wouldnt make deals with China to turn over USER IP's either.

Would they?

2. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Thanks, 'fog. For those of us who don't keep up with these things, Google Chrome is a new open-source browser. How did I find that out? Through Google search, of course.

If Google works anything like Apple, they'll tag Google Chrome on any update they can pass along. Apple has been trying to get me to download Safari by pretending that there's an update that I need to QuickTime. They do this about every two weeks and, the last 6 or 7 times there's been no updates to provide, just a lie to get you to reconsider downloading Safari. If you don't look carefully, you'll wind up downloading by accident a product you don't want and that could clog up your electron arteries. Apple ... the nice company.

Anyhow, thanks fog.

3. pettyfog

Well, 'cepting it's not REALLY 'open-source' or they wouldnt be tagging your stuff as theirs.

The ONLY browser easy enough to steer clear of that corp highjacking is Firefox. Uhhh sorry, also 'Opera'. They're a little player though

Gotta say, though, I'm not real pleased with their interface changes in firefox 3, but I can deal with them.

UPDATE: New Book/Amazon: Planet Google: One Company's Audacious Plan To Organize Everything We Know

- better pay attention!

4. pettyfog

Chrome update

UPDATE: Google on Chrome EULA controversy: our bad, we'll change it
    - via LittleGreenFootballs

PLUS.. it WAS distributed -ALSO- under 'OpenSource' {my bad, Don} so it prolly wasnt enforceable anyway. Would rely on the decision of a judge, though, depending on how 'also' affected proprietary rights. Get it .. judge/court/lawyer...

However.......
    So...again... no thanks. Got enough worries with ActiveX, still