Good news for my side on "Global Warming", sorta..

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by pettyfog, Feb 13, 2007.

1. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

.. I guess not.

Instapundit points to this NY Times piece on Richard Branson's 25 million prize for a practical CO2 reduction mechanism.. and the piece starts out well, but gradually descends into fiction. And not even GOOD fiction...

Oh? Why is that?

Air cooled by being over Ice and snow, right?
    So... let me get this straight... it wont matter much if the Gulf Stream slows or stops. Because it's really the prevailing westerlies blowing over the 'warm ocean' that results in Western Europe's fairly temperate climate.

I see.

Now... understand this guy Tierney is the Times' science writer. And consider that many of you regard me as an obnoxious know it all, and that we 'little folk' shouldnt question the 'bright minds' who have devoted themselves to their craft.

Read the article... visualize what he is saying, then think again.
    Or maybe point out the obvious part that I missed... which I wouldnt mind because there ARE times I'd really like to believe what this guy writes.

2. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

Yes it was a good article. I don't doubt that some are over hyping the global warming problem, environmentalists are prone to do that sorta thing :( Agreed that we must always ask questions of the "bright minds" but we must never completely discredit what they say, which some blatantly do when it comes to Global Warming.

The idea that Al Gore exploited, dramatized, pick your own word, the problem for his own gain is hardly surprising. I can't believe this talk of people wanting him to jump in the presidential race! He came out with a good lecture on Global Warming and now he's a savior? WTF I hardly see him as the dems best bet.

On a side note the article is about Branson and Gore introducing the Virgin air prize, and has in-depth examples about London climate. When I watched "An Inconvenient Truth" I was on a Virgin flight to London. Sorta funny.

3. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

And sadly... you missed my point entirely.

If I was one of those Global Warming nutjobs, I'd be all over him.

Her's the thing... The Gulf Stream flows UP the east coast of the US but warms that coast very little because of the prevailing westerlies... what warming the east coast gets is from the Gulf of Mexico so the effect of the stream is indirect.

BUT... Western Europe gets the effect of the warm Gulf stream, not from 'proximity to it but' beacause of the westerlies... if the stream stops, then the ocean will be cooler, and even the eastern Atl ocean water will cool more because of the cooler water off the US...and England will again be in a little ice age like in the 1600's, and there will be more snow and the Arctic ice will build above scandinavia and we'll start all over again.

Now... what I just pointed out.. aint 'science' it's common sense physics... which he didnt do and which Gore and his money chasing 'experts dont do either.

ALWAYS 'follow the money'! Which, btw is YOUR money!!!!!!!!

Here's the thing... the Stream is NOT going to stall and stop, if it DID, then the Greeenland cap would stop melting. If it stops melting, there wil be nothing stalling the Stream or -gasp- the fresh water melt would turn into ice again!

4. Smokin'

Smokin' Administrator

Petty gets my nod... like i have the expertise to give one, but my point is simple.

This conflicting account from yet ANOTHER scientist is another attempt to hand you a convenient, "its not gonna happen" scenario...

You have look at this in the meteorlogical, nautical standpoint that remains complex in the regard that one thing WILL effect all others... if the westerlies stop, for instance, NY turns into a paradise, greenland melts and more hot water and air gets to the northern cap, if the gulf stream stops.... NY's water gets ALOT colder, Greenland expands, England freezes and the whole of europe goes to hell. EVERTHING in this model is interconnected and there is a bunch of other factors that EVERYONE is neglecting if they think it will only effect these two areas. I notice that everyone leaves out elevation and other parts of the equation here... westerlies are promintent in the norther middle states because the elevation is low, cold trophs fill the plains and the jet stream pushes them on...

I dont claim to be able to make a decision either way, but as petty says, I follow the money... I try to see who is making decisions or running studies and why. Then I test it for plausability.

There is obviously an issue here... but the true scenario will not be properly extrapolated until its final moments purely because it has become a politcal device.