Good Listening

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by IanHux, Jul 30, 2008.

1. IanHux

IanHux New Member

I'm not sure how many (if any) of you appreciate the old skool rap/hip-hop but if you do I think a couple modern artists recreate the sound pretty well. Sintax the Terrific and Mars ILL are who I'm talking about. Now I usually don't enjoy any hip-hop at all but these two blow my mind. Do yourself a favor and take a listen.

Sintax the Terrific:
    http://www.myspace.com/sintaxtheterrific

Mars ILL:
    http://www.myspace.com/marsill

2. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

Hmmm . . . . hey, your avatar is great

3. krhimself

krhimself New Member

Cheers for the links Ian, I know hip hop's received quite a bad reputation in recent years (what with garbage coming out of the likes of Soulja Boy, Lil' Wayne, etc)... but it's always refreshing to know that there are artists out there who are making quality tracks.

4. IanHux

IanHux New Member

Thanks mo, glad you appreciate it :wink:

These guys are like a breath of fresh air in todays music industry. I'll go out on a limb and say that everyone should at least listen to the first couple lines in one song.... You might be surprised, I know I was

5. Lyle

Lyle New Member

6. IanHux

IanHux New Member

Well Aesop Rock is good, really good but he uses profanity. Any MC that can rap without it is 100X better than a similar product. All that aside, thanks for the links Lyle

7. Lyle

Lyle New Member

Yeah, but Aesop Rock is clean in the sense that he isn't producing disgusting gangster rap. His rapping is not only really sophisticated in style, but sophisticated in message. There just aren't many college educated rappers out there who are putting out a positive form of rap. Cussing is just an everyday part of his vocabulary, I would imagine. He doesn't cuss for the sake of cussing. For a guy like Aesop Rock it would be silly if he didn't cuss in his music, because that's his language and you rap in your language.

Another guy is Matisyahu, who is totally clean like your guy. He doesn't cuss for religous reasons though.

8. IanHux

IanHux New Member

All those points are very true. I think you've just nabbed a new Aesop Rock fan. He is completely real with his rap.

I encourage you to listen to Compound Interest by Sintax the Terrific and Inside Out ( http://www.myspace.com/marsiaill ) by Mars ILL and find the lyrics if you can (good luck with that....). They should give you a clue into their beliefs

BTW, I love Matisyahu. A hasidic (I think thats right) Jew from Brooklyn with something that is so different from anything else I've heard. Blows me away.