Gold Cup: USA vs Guatemala

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by bostoncottage, Jun 5, 2007.

1. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

I think the only changes from China will be up top w/Donovan & Johnson. I'm thinking about going, since Sat. is an impossibility, but the thought of driving an hour + (terrible traffic that time of day) to see Guatemala attempt to play like they did (10 men behind the ball & El Pascado flopping all over the place) in Dallas isn't exactly enticing.

2. Team_of_McBrides

Team_of_McBrides New Member

I wouldn't make the trip. Hate traffic, but I hate Carlos Ruiz and Guatemala's style of play even more.

Won't be an exciting match, but I am always up for a surprising 3-0 victory. I think Guatemala will be content in attempting to squeeze the life out of the match, but with the form the USMNT is currently in I think they can nip a goal.

3. Kickflip89

Kickflip89 New Member

It sounds like Bradley has been working on the 10-men defense problem with the MNT. He made some comment after the China game about working very hard to pass the ball with the intent of shifting the defense around to create openings.

Probably Bradley and Feilhaber will get the starts, since I think Mastroeni still needs to serve his suspension from Germany.

4. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

8 central

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Canada picked up a big win over Costa Rica tonight. I'm excited! I think they could make a run at this and get some real momentum into the qualifiers. :banana:

5. Team_of_McBrides

Is it just me or has Mastroeni's time come and passed. IMO he isn't able to play at the top level anymore. He lacks the pace needed and his tackling isn't what it use to be.

6. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

How stupid and counter productive is it for there to be domestic matches on at the same time as a Gold Cup match? Not only is RSL playing a friendly with China, but Houston is playing the Rapids. So, the league has sanctioned events to draw audience away from the USMNT. Way to go, guys!

And to believe I get on PCB when he calls it the Middle School League. Sigh

7. Team_of_McBrides

Agreed. I am a little upset that I will be unable to watch the US v. Guatemala.

The MLS just makes me shake my head in disbelief sometimes.

8. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Wait a minute... When was what scheduled?!!! MLS signed a contract with ESPN for regular Primetime Thursday night games!

Are you saying MLS should have given way when CONCACAF released their game schedules?

9. Team_of_McBrides

The matters that make me shake my head aren't the television issues. A whole plethora of other issues, but all in all I do like the MLS.

Just doesn't work out for my viewing pleasure this time to catch both games...there are greater tragedies in life.

10. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I'm saying that when you're trying to grow the professional game, it's counterproductive to create conflicts like this. If we get caught in an ABC v Fox pissing contest, then the loser will be soccer.

And why in the world couldn't RSL have scheduled for Wednesday? One thing you can guarantee, those 2-5,000 who show up for tonight's scrimmage won't be watching either ESPN or FSC.

I'm saying it's short-sighted and parochial ... is what I'm saying

11. Team_of_McBrides

Now come on...RSL will have about 10,000 fans in the stands. A little under season average, but still a great crowd.

I understand what you are saying Don. Scheduling conflicts for exhibition, league and internationals should be scheduled in a more sensible manner.

12. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

Its just you, Macaroni is the man. Always been underrated in my opinion.

13. bostoncottage

bostoncottage New Member

for those of us without FSC, Univision is carrying the game

14. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

I'll try this again. Missed the first 35 minutes or so -- business, ya know -- and so I missed Deuce's goal. Second half was very much like ... um ... FULHAM.

Anyhow, good stuff by Deuce, Boca, Feilhaber, Timmy, Twellman, Landy, and the Beas.

Why were you out there for Hejduk and Ralston

Where the $%@&@ is your head for Gooch. He either played poorly or played like an idiot. Looking forward to DeMerit getting a full 90 on Saturday.

BoilerBen and I missed the restayouse in the Chatroom

USA!

15. Team_of_McBrides

Anyone care to give me a brief synopsis of the game? I was at the RSL v. China match so I missed the US v. Guatemala match.

Thanks in advance

16. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

T_of_C, go to USSOCCER.COM and hit their match tracker. It'll give you play-by-play.

17. Team_of_McBrides

Will do...was looking for a fans perspective. Journalists sometime seem to be focused on everything, but the match sometimes.

18. jmh

jmh New Member

Wow, what a jackbag Ruiz is. How he got through that match without a yellow is beyond me.

From a Fulham perspective...

Boca was solid. Unspectacular but always winning balls in the air, he times his jumps so well.
    Onyewu (since he's a possible transfer target) was out of position more often than I expected but no way did he deserve to have been sent off.
    Deuce came off after 60 minutes after having been seen limping at one point, I hope he's not hurt. He took his goal well. So many of the goals I've seen him score have been tap-ins but they only look easy because he makes good runs at smart times to get into that sort of position. I really hope he gets the chance to make that same kind of impact next year.

Saturday I'm figuring:
    Howard
    Heydude - DeMerit - Boca - Bornstein
    Clark - Feilhaber
    Ralston - Donovan - Beasley
    Johnson

Does anybody else on the roster play left back? (I mean, I know Boca can, but his skill in the air is practically wasted out there.)

19. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Classic Max Breto line -- "Boca is a natural left back."

That guy is the idiots idiot. I could not help but repeat him every time he said Guateeemala.

Please, someone, help get that guy off the air.
    And please replace him with JMH. Spot on!

20. jmh

jmh New Member

Awww, you're too kind. :D

Yeah, Bretos is pretty annoying. I'm really surprised that he's the best FSC can find.