Gold Cup: Trinidad & Tobago v. USA

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by Team_of_McBrides, Jun 9, 2007.

1. bostoncottage

bostoncottage New Member

Surprised to see the B team out there. But it seems like a solid tactical move by Bradley, considering it was basically T&T's reserves. Saw the game, but I've been pretty out of touch this weekend and haven't seen much news. Any reason to be concerned that Dempsey wasn't even a sub? He's not injured, right?

2. Team_of_McBrides

Team_of_McBrides New Member

He came off with an injury in the match vs. Guatemala, but I haven't read any reports of a serious injury. There wasn't much of a point to place him on the bench for the TNT match, because Bradley had no intention of playing him. He just needs a bit of rest. Three matches in six days can take its toll.

Anyone catch Silvio Spann's free kick goal against El Salvador? Fantastic goal and he about did it again against the US. My jaw dropped when I saw the movement on that ball.

3. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

His brother Steel-eye was pretty good also. :banana:

Don't worry about responding Kevin; just trolling for other posters who might have also lived in England in the '60s and '70s.

4. Team_of_McBrides

Roger that Don won't respond.

(did I just bottle that?)

5. BC

BC New Member

Yes, it is unfortunate that wage disputes kept the T&T first team mostly off the pitch. However, I was encouraged to see that our second team can beat their second team. Mapp was the standout for me. Feilhaber had a few nice passes as well. Bradley (coach) is doing great so far! Hope he keeps it up.

6. Team_of_McBrides

That was the topic of discussion in the FulhamUSA chat room. How Mapp would perform. We were all pleasantly surprised. Had some good service, linked up well with the forwards, contributed to a goal and but in a good shift.

A bit of some dispute on what league or level he will play at next, but it is easy to say he will not be in the MLS that much longer.

7. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

I'm not sure if his (Mapps's) work ethic is good enough to make it in Europe. He dissappeared for long stretches in the T&T game, unlike Beasley (the better LM option) who tracked back defensively and moved around to actively seek the ball.

8. Team_of_McBrides

Of course Beasley is the more talented option at this point in their careers and Beasleys also had more time in the national side as well. I don't believe Mapp's work ethic should be questioned as much as the US' lack of ability to go forward once TNT made a concerted effort to attack. He did a fine job IMO and I'm looking forward to another yank from the MLS getting a shot witha European side.

9. Kickflip89

Kickflip89 New Member

I didn't see the game, but this has been my impression of the NT games I've seen Mapp in. Hopefully he just needs a season or two to let his game mature. He is young, so flashes of brilliance followed by lulls isn't too surprising.

10. Team_of_McBrides

The lulls seem to becoming less and less frequent. I am not advocating him to be a world beater, but he has some talent. Next season I could see him moving across the pond.