Gold Cup Standings Thread

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by Kickflip89, Jun 9, 2007.

1. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

Were a viable threat to ourselves. Were capable of playing poorly and in that case there are several teams which could pull a win on us. Had things gone differently our first two games could have been draws rather than wins.

I think you underestimate these small CONCACAF nations. They can be really stingy and it would mean a great deal to them to beat the US. Look at T&T in the world cup. They were barely the fourth best team in CONCACAF, Guatemala or Panama could have beat them out and so could have a handful of other CONCACAF nations had they been fortunate enough to make the hex. Teams 4-10 are very equally matched in CONCACAAF. T&T were able to play a feisty game and grab a draw against a top euro side and hold England until what? like the 80th minute.

2. Team_of_McBrides

Team_of_McBrides New Member

That of course is England who are terrible when matches really matter.

I still maintain that the US is overwhelming favorite. Of course anything can happen in a one off match, but I don't see a legitimate threat to the US at this time. Sure sides can nip a goal here or there, but the opposition they are playing is at such a low level. When they play the US the level of play is far higher.

I am not trying to be over confident about the US' chances. Just looking at this from a realistic perspective. The US should roll every side left. I am actually hoping for 3 more clean sheets to finish off the Gold Cup.

3. Kickflip89

Kickflip89 New Member

Two players were shown Red for Panama, so they won't be appearing in the QF against the U.S. on Saturday. Front page updated with QF matches.

4. Team_of_McBrides

Then the US gets the winners of the Canada v. Guadolupe match? (not arrogance)

5. Kickflip89

Kickflip89 New Member

If by Canada v. Guadaloupe you mean Canada v. Guatemala, then yes :)

6. Team_of_McBrides

Thanks for clearing that up. That is why you are here, to educate and inform the masses of all the happenings in the Gold Cup.

7. quickdraw

quickdraw New Member

I must admit, I have had fun watching the USMNT during the Gold Cup. It gives me a sense of hope for the next 3 years if we can keep even 80% of this pace going.

On a side note, the USMNT has moved up 13 spots to #16 on the FIFA standings.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/s ... index.html

8. Team_of_McBrides

I read that the other day. Brazil got bumped to third and France moved into second place.

I wonder how high NI advaned under LS?

9. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Not to happy about Panama being our quarterfinal opponent. Maybe it is the red kits, but they remind me of Ghana. A fast squad that can counter attack and score before you even know what happened. :|

10. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

Panama does look more dangerous than anyone we have faced yet.

I don't foresee any problems with out SF match against Canada.

I am predicting a USA-Honduras Final.

11. Team_of_McBrides

With the way Honduras has been playing I wouldn't doubt they can make the final. It was impressive to see them bounce back from a goal down and to win the match at the death against Mexico. It might be just because it was Mexico that I liked it so much, but it shows their side has some resiliency.

12. Team_of_McBrides

With the way Honduras has been playing I wouldn't doubt they can make the final. It was impressive to see them bounce back from a goal down and to win the match at the death against Mexico. It might be just because it was Mexico that I liked it so much, but it shows their side has some resiliency.

13. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Just found out Panama got two reds at the end of the match last night. Helps relieve some of my trepidations for our quarterfinal match-up, but not all.

14. Team_of_McBrides

I have to say I have loads more confidence in the USMNT than most. Is it the yanks ability in the past to play to the talent of their opposition or just looking less than brilliant at times?

This is one of the weakest Gold Cups I've seen in some time. The US shouldn't have a problem.

15. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

So much for my formatt interpretation. We play Panama which is surely a much tougher draw then Guadeloupe. Mexico got it worse though, drawing the Ticos.

Honduran David Suazo just signed for Inter Milan. Unfortuantly he's injured at the moment but with him Honduras could be good in qualifying. Probably the best player in CONCACAF right now.

16. bostoncottage

bostoncottage New Member

After watching our 3 group games, IMO our best line up with this roster is:

----------------------------Howard------------------------

--------Simek------DeMerit------Boca------Spector----

----Donovan---------Clark----------Feilhaber-----Beasley---

-------------------Dempsey--------Twellman*-----------------

* I know this an old rant, but wow are we weak at forward. Twellman's played pretty well, but he's just not going to cut it against the big boys and it's frustrating to think he's the best we can do. Please, let Altidore and Davies develop by 2010.

17. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Good line-up BC. I would probably let Mastroeni stay in at d-mid, and it is a toss-up for me bewteen DeMerit and Gooch. I may side on giving Gooch another chance until he shows that he has completely lost the plot.

Twellman, Ching, Johnson, does not matter to me. They all show falshes of potential that are hardly ever fulfilled.

Yes, Altidaore, Davies, and/or Ferrari please!

18. andypalmer

andypalmer Active Member

BC. Good line-up!
    I prefer Demerit over Gooch. Clark is the only question mark for me. Only other viable option is to play a diamond midfield, putting Ching up top with Twellman and moving Demps to attacking CM.

19. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

i love this lineup and completely agree with every choice. as far as the forwards...just put whoever bust their tail the way McBride does up there with Demps....and let Demps do all the scoring!!!

20. Team_of_McBrides

Good lineup choice BC. The back line is fantastic. The US has some sound defenders. Midfield is looking good but the US does have a solid threat when they attack in the 4-3-2-1 format as well, I prefer Dempsey on top in that lineup.

Twellman should perform well alongside Dempsey and Clark could be subs out for either Mastroeni or even Bradley.