Gold Cup Standings Thread

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by Kickflip89, Jun 9, 2007.

1. Team_of_McBrides

Team_of_McBrides New Member

Had no idea that match was going on. In Canada's previous two matches De Rosario has been massively important to his side. He seems to be the engine of his national team and is linking up well in attack. Now the goals are coming. Well done.

2. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Just finished watching the 2nd half of the Canada match and I am so pleased that none of my soccer-baiting acquaitences was likely to be watching Galavision. I cannot remember having been so bored watching football. If I never see Canada or Haiti play again, that'll be fine with me.

Snore City.

3. Team_of_McBrides

I am glad that I chose to watch the Daily Show instead. Didn't think it would be an out and out attacking match.

Wise choice on my part...up next the Cobert Report.

4. Kickflip89

Kickflip89 New Member

Looks like El Salvador is going to be the third place team as Trinidad and Tobago defender Dwayne Jack has received a red card in the 30th minute of their match against Guatemala.

5. Team_of_McBrides

The US was by the far the most convincing side of the group phase. I like the yank's chance of winning the Gold Cup once again, would be a huge disappointment if they fell short.

Bradley has the side play well and I'm impressed with his tactics thus far.

6. Kickflip89

Kickflip89 New Member

Guatemala 1 - TNT 1.

So, the standings for Group A and B are finalized and I've put up the tentative QF match-ups.

7. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

What's sweeter than beating Mexico in the final?

Sending their asses home in the quarterfinals. I'd take it. (But hope they see their way out tomorrow.)

8. Team_of_McBrides

I really hope we get a shot at Mexico and give them a proper thrashing. A 3-0 score line would be fantastic. Hat Trick from Dempsey?

9. Kickflip89

Kickflip89 New Member

Probably the U.S. will end up playing Guadaloupe on the 16th regardless of what happens tomorrow. The only way they could get Mexico is if Cuba wins and Mexico draws AND Mexico has to score at least 1 goal.

If Cuba wins and Mexico draws without scoring a goal, then it will be a lottery to see if Guadaloupe or Mexico gets the U.S. in the QFs.

10. Team_of_McBrides

KF...again impressing with your grasp of the Gold Cup. I know you have some spare time on your hands, but are you the event coordinator of the Gold Cup or something?

Guadaloupe is a bit of the Cinderella story you could say of the Gold Cup so far. Doubt they will cause much of a problem. Would be fantastic if the US could not allow a single goal the rest of the Gold Cup. Don't care if we just win 1-0 from here on out. I would be much more impressed with a solid defensive effort.

11. Kickflip89

Kickflip89 New Member

Also, at this point if Panama beats Mexico, I think they are out of the QFs regardless of the Honduras v Cuba match results.

12. Kickflip89

Kickflip89 New Member

Scratch that, did some more figuring and this is the Mexico situation:

Mexico will be out of the tournament if they loose against Panama AND Cuba beats Honduras

Mexico will play the U.S. in the quarters if
    1. Panama beats Mexico and Cuba draws or looses to Honduras
    2. Panama and Mexico Draw

Mexico will not play us in the QFs if they win their game

13. Team_of_McBrides

Either way, I hope we end up playing Mexico. We need to give them a sound loss anyways.

14. Kickflip89

Kickflip89 New Member

Honduras went up 2-0 on Cuba in the first 15 minutes. Honduras looks good, but Cuba is really horrible. I mean really. Horrible.

15. Team_of_McBrides

Forgot the matches were on today. Always can count on an update from KF on the Gold Cup. Read on another thread that Donovan is planning on playing in the Copa. Good news for the USMNT and their supporters.

16. Kickflip89

Kickflip89 New Member

Pavon now has a hat trick. 3-0 Honduras, which means Mexico is definitely in the QFs, barring some kind of miracle performance from Cuba. Now all that remains is to see whether we get Panama, Honduras, or Mexico on Saturday.

UPDATE:

4-0 Honduras, Mexico definately in QFs, and the only way they won't play us on saturday is if they win against Panama.

17. Kickflip89

Kickflip89 New Member

Mexico Panama is 0 - 0 at the half. Mexico is playing O.K., but the teams are kind of canceling each other out, even though the play is somewhat aggressive.

Honduras has had like one good chance, which pounced off the post, and Mexico has one good chance, which also bounced off the post. Other than that, it's a lot of flashy play in the midfield with no final pass / finishing.

18. Team_of_McBrides

Honduras hasn't done too bad at getting forward. A quite bland game if you ask me. Mexico has lost whatever they use to have it would appear.

19. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

After sifting through the format I've determined were virtually guaranteed to play Guadeloupe in the next round. Mexico will be on the other side of the draw regardless of the result tonight, meaning we can't play them until the final. Normally I'd just cheer against Mexico but since I'm going to the final I'm hoping for US-Mex matchup. That would be sweeeeeeeeeeeeet!

First off we need to get to the final, or I'll be bumming major.

20. Team_of_McBrides

After watching the Gold Cup so far have you seen any nation that really presents a viable threat?

The U 21's in Europe would have a field day with these nations. If the US doesn't win the Gold Cup it will be a massive disappointment. For your sake I will hope for a Mexico v. US final.