Gold Cup roster/ Grenada match

Discussion in 'Prem talk, Those Other Leagues, and International' started by BarryP, Jun 20, 2009.

1. LaxAttack

LaxAttack Well-Known Member

The only thing bad about Davies was his horrific dance thing after he scored. ;)

2. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Mo, I think that a maturing Davies and a maturing Altidore could lead our line TOGETHER.

Beckerman looked very assured in gaining possession, and it seemed that every pass he made out of his own half was right on. He had a couple of extremely good through balls as well.

LAX, was it just me or did it look like Charlie was trying to start an old Harley Sportster while combing his eyebrows? Must be some dance move he learned in Sweden.

Last note. FSC adjusted their sound for the second half, but during the first half I complained to HatterMom that the BLESSED horns had made their way from South Africa to Seattle. She said that I should look on the bright side -- they were drowning out the commentary.

3. LaxAttack

Speaking of horns.....I just wanted an excuse to post this shirt/picture.

[​IMG]

4. FulhamNorthwestUSA

FulhamNorthwestUSA New Member

Robbie Rogers was my man of the match. He was quick and composed on the ball. His passes were very good and he looked like he was a step faster than everyone else. Honestly, i did not know he was that good! Guys that stood out for me were Davies, Rogers, Adu, Pierce, and Holden. They all looked very comfortable today. Great flick on by Pierce for the Davies goal. Hopefully our team will continue to look good against tougher opponents and we will see some more of the guys who need to audition. Go USA!

5. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

1. Grenada is indeed one of those minnows.. it seemed that the US was using some pretty simple attacking ploys, shame those guys' MLS teams forget them so often.
    1 A This was the B squad, guys. Playing against a C level opponent.

2. I think Robbie's breakout is great, but he did exactly what he did last year for typ ninety minutes a game; this year he hadn't yet recovered his timing with the Crew.

6. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

<----- Winner of the BIG DUMMY award for the day, by misprogramming my DVR and not getting to see any of the game.

7. LaxAttack

8. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Holy Shit! This is an upset of major proportions: Panama 1 Guadeloupe 2!

I can't find a write-up on it, but it wasn't that long ago that Panama was looking to break into the next level of CONCACAF countries. Guadeloupe is a tiny island in the Caribbean and has around 400,000 residents.

Gotta love cup football.

9. BarryP

BarryP New Member

I am not sure how much there is to be taken from this match other than to say the entire team played a nice passing game, controlled the ball very well and dominated a team it should have dominated.

Robbie Rogers deserved the MOM but I will refrain from heaping to much praise on him because he had a lot of time to execute. The same goes for everyone else. I liked what I saw and hope it continues against a higher quality opponent. I am also not going to judge Troy Perkins to harshly for flapping about a bit on his one and only save of the match. Maintaining focus during a match like that is a goalies greatest opponent. Overall it was fun to watch a US squad dissect their opponent in such a methodical manner.

10. BarryP

BarryP New Member

Here is a write-up Don:
    Guadelupe 2 - Panama 1

11. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Amazing innit we're seeing all these minnows.. but having had no interest in the Gold Cup start up.. WhereTheH is T&T?

12. BarryP

BarryP New Member

if I recall correctly they did not qualify.

13. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Thanks, BarryP. Oh, and to tag along to 'fog's question, I think TnT aren't there because Guadeloupe knocked them out in the qualifying rounds.

14. FulhamAg

FulhamAg New Member

Don's right about T&T, Guadeloupe took them down.

15. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

I decided at the last minute to take the ferry down for the weekend and catch the Seattle double header. I arrived an hour or so before the first game, dropped my bags, headed for the stadium, and picked a ticket off a scalper for the cheapest price you could get at the box office. Much to my amusement the ticket was to a suite.

The other nine people present had bought fortuitously bought their tickets from the same guy. So we drank the free beer in the fridge, enjoyed the comfy chairs and flat screen tv's, and watched a US victory.

The Linkem Foundation, whoever and where ever they are, may want to investigate just how the haggard scalper got a hold of tickets to their suite.

16. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

That's the most entertaining thing I've heard associated with the Grenada match, nice job and thanks for sharing!