Going to The Killers show tonight!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by mnlandshark, Aug 9, 2005.

1. mnlandshark

mnlandshark New Member

They're finally playing a show here in the Cities (and yes Mike W., I rave about the Cities)! After cancelling/postponing their last two shows, they're on for tonight!

I'm hoping they live up to the hype... it'll be interesting to see what they do considering they really only have the one album to pull from... covers? other stuff that no one knows about?

2. Jux

Jux New Member

How did it turn out?

When they played in Columbus, they pretty much played the album and about 1 or 2 new songs (I think that's right...MrsJux?). Hot Hot Heat opened for them and were good.

3. mnlandshark

mnlandshark New Member

Re: RE: Going to The Killers show tonight!

That's about right... it was an OK show... they sound exactly like they do on the album... no real improvisation or anything like that... I think if they get another album under their belt it'll be a better show...

They play a very efficient set... not a lot of talking between songs... and they do that indie-rock-I'm-too-cool-to-look-like-I'm-having-that-much-fun thing... although the lead singer does have a ton of stage presence... the drummer gets into it from time to time... but the guitar and bass guys just kind of do their thing...

I give it 1 1/2 thumbs up... worth it if you can get tickets... a good entertaining show... but don't expect the world...

4. JohnnyCash

JohnnyCash New Member

RE: Re: RE: Going to The Killers show tonight!

I've seen Hot hot heat and htey put on a really good show. It also sort of annoys me that Hot hot heat has been around for a few years, and they're opening for a band that is sort of flavor of the month on the top 40 stations right now.

I saw Kaiser Chiefs and the Cribs a few weeks ago, that was a great show.

5. ChicagoTom

ChicagoTom Administrator

RE: Re: RE: Going to The Killers show tonight!

I saw the Killers in Milwaukee in early May and I was not all that impressed. I like the record a lot, but on this night, the singer sounded flat and the band seemed to be going through the motions a bit. Perhaps it was the venue or perhaps I was expecting much better, but overall I was a bit disappointed.

I do agree with Landshark that another album and more experience might make their live shows better.

6. Jux

Jux New Member

Re: RE: Re: RE: Going to The Killers show tonight!

I understand. That seems to be the plight of the "mid-major" band (and has been for years). They often have fairly rabid followings through word of mouth, but are still viewed as minor acts to the major media conglomerates. Bands like the Shins, Von Bondies, My Morning Jacket, Gomez, etc. can pack the smaller venues and will often give a better/longer show than you will see with an arena band. You just hope that when they open for a band that has sold more albums that they will get the set time/appreciation that they deserve.

The Killers played a lively show here in Columbus. However, it was an outdoor concert, so sometimes the impact of the music can be lost.

7. JohnnyCash

JohnnyCash New Member

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Going to The Killers show tonight!

that's the benefit of living in somewhere like DC where there are plenty of smaller venues. I completely avoid large arenas and festivals anymore. I prefer to sit in smokey cramped places where hte lights don't work and sip on $7 microbrew and complain about everything with the other hipsters.

8. Jux

Jux New Member

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Going to The Killers show tonight!

Yup...that's why my favorite venue is the Newport. It's just like you described and has hosted all of the bands I listed above. And I can stand, which I like to do at concerts.