goaldotcom infected???

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by pettyfog, Jul 21, 2009.

1. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

I went to goal.com to read an article and clicked on one of their sidebar articles and got that nasty 'your computer may be infected' warnings.
    I tried to kill it by clicking the topright X and it started 'scanning' page.

Only way to kill that page in Firefox was in task manager.

I started AVG scan and it showed nothing serious for first 200,000.
    reopened fresh start of firefox went to goal.com and clicked on canales' latest and it did it again.

Either goal dot com are idiots or they been compromised

2. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

thanks for the heads-up, 'fog. I'm staying away from the site for a while.

3. BarryP

BarryP New Member

It happened to me last night also. I updated and ran my spyware, anti-virus and CC cleaner and found nothing and had no other problems this morning.

4. RobG4

RobG4 New Member

Same issue here.

The program is called anti-spywarescanner.com

It tricks you into thinking it is scanning your system and finding all kinds of threats, so that you will download the "security software"

From what I read, just getting the pop-up and scan screen is not necessarily harmful. When you click OK a couple of times to "scan your system" you will download some spyware.

5. nmancini04

nmancini04 New Member

This is a common form of malware and something like it completely gutted my computer earlier this year. I recommend downloading malwarebytes. There's a version available for free online.

6. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Update:
    Apparently my Firefox 'adblocker' plug-in wasnt updated when Firefox was, last time around. This according to some on BS Crew forum, anyway, who actually tried with and without.

That may be the specific case, here, but it doesnt address the larger issue. If that is a sanctioned ad, Goal dot com should be ashamed.