GOAL! Great Movie includes play at the Cottage...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by AmericanBob, Apr 19, 2007.

1. AmericanBob

AmericanBob New Member

I saw this at my local library ( Shirley,NY) and after watching it, there was a lot of emotional periods in the movie. It starts off with a man taking his family across the mexican border then jumps 10 years and the eldest son Santiago (played by Kuno Becker) is playing inter league soccer in latino LA, parks college stadiums when his spotted by an ex- Newcastle scout/player who offers him only a chance , no big sell out here, he only offers what he feels he can deliver. The scout then makes some calls and asks for a chance to try the boy if he shows up in Newcastle, he does, he sort of flubs but every one has faith ( a familar topic these days outside the relegation zone) and he is given his chance, This is the movies so of course there is a happy ending to this part. Bad for us whites though, playing for Newcastle in a fixture at the cottage, the star scores the winning goal at the match, thus securing him a place in the Newcastle club as a starter, but you have to love the fact they chose the Cottage to shoot the movie in. Have a great day and for those fortunate enough to be at the match Saturday, Give 'em hell, MAKE SOME NOISE!!! AmericanBob

2. jmh

jmh New Member

At AmericanBob's suggestion, I recorded this movie off cable a couple of days ago. Not bad, really. The on-field stuff was well executed, though a bit predictable; I guess the same also applies to the off-field plot (though I thought they were setting up Gavin to be a real tool who would stand in Santiago's way and he turned out to be a nice enough guy). Funniest scene I think was when Santiago was working out doing leg extensions with what looked to be 15 kg, then Alan Shearer sits down after him and bumps the weight all the way up to 50 kg.

Was it wrong that I thought it was great when Boa elbowed that one guy in the head?

3. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Well, I finally found this movie on Encore, recorded it and watched it over the weekend.

I kind of liked it. I liked the scenes at the Cottage when Newcastle played "Full Ham," and kind of misted up at seeing Liam, Radz, Diop and, especially, Boa in the Black and White.

One quibble. The kid kicks every ball with his right foot until the final free kick, which, based on its trajectory and his position, had to have been taken with his left. But, overall, this was a lot of fun to watch. I'm looking forward to the sequels.

Oh, the boy has a tasty chick as well. Just sayin'

4. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

For some odd reason, Goal 2 has been out for close to a year, but you cannot get it in the States yet, at least on NetFlix.

5. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

To be honest, they are both very predictable, very bad movies. The second worst than the first only for the fact that the first has Craven Cottage in it.

6. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

Well, when you see your little 7 year old boy cry at three different points during the movie and then everything turns our happy, you are pretty glad that its predictable. I liked it and loved watching it with my kids.

7. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

I'll concede it's a poor movie, but I enjoyed it...especially the kicking the ball into the dumpster scene in the alley. Mrs. Nevzter has grown weary of this film and my proliclivity to watch bits and pieces on Starz, etc. It's truly shite, but I'm not expecting The Godfather when I watch Goal!.

8. sublicon

sublicon New Member

I guess I'm the only guy who gets a little misty when Santiago finds out his dad saw him get subbed in during the Full-ham match. :'(

9. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

Bah!
    It's the cheesy predictability that makes this movie great (but not from a cinematic perspective). And the fact that Fulham was in the original.

10. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

Well Mo, I didn't say I didn't enjoy watching them!! Especially when I got to see the 2nd on the way back to NY last summer.

11. GaryBarnettFanClub

GaryBarnettFanClub New Member

Most football movies are poor - especailly where they coordinate playing sequences. Usualy involving a keeper flopping around like a fish out of water. At least modern technololgy allows the actors to be superimposed into genuine great play. I didn't like the film on the grounds that they beat Fulham.

The best by a long way (IMO) is Escape to Victory. An all star cast with Pele, Ozzie Ardiles, Bobby Moore and somehow John Wark. It is still a poor film.

I though Bend it like Becham was good - but I am concerned that it is a chick flick and therefore I'm a bit girly.

12. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Feel secure in your manhood Stu about liking 'Bend it Like Beckham'. My wife and 13 year old daughter love that flick also...DOH. 8)

13. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Stu, please tell me that the movie you're referring to is not the one with Sylvester Stallone in goal! It takes place in a POW camp. They called it Victory over here. It was mega-horrible.

If you want the best, check out Bedknobs and Broomsticks for the animated match between the True Blues and the Dirty Yellows [yes, I ripped off Disney for my nickname for Watford].

14. GaryBarnettFanClub

GaryBarnettFanClub New Member

It's not that one...

Well OK - it is, but Pele and Bobby Moore are in it.

15. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Goal! - Now playing on FX

In case you didnt already know it. I dont think it's all that great, despite some good playing scenes.
    Criticize: The idea Fulham would trip someone in the box! I blame Cookie.