Gas Price: Dubya's Fault!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by pettyfog, May 28, 2008.

1. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

No, really! Who murdered Cheap Oil?

And why it's going to plummet, again...

2. dtwondough

dtwondough New Member

RE: Gas Price: Dubya

Fog, hard to understand if you are agreeing that it is Dubya's fault or if you are mocking the article.

http://www.slate.com/id/2191491/

3. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

silly rabbit; the president is only to blame for something bad if he's a Democrat. The president only gets credit for something if he's a Republican. You need to read those labels more closely.

Who's getting the blame for this in most of the talk shows? Congress, of course. Thank goodness for the 2006 elections. Now there's SOME branch of government we can blame for things again [without emboldening the you-know-whos]. :twisted:

4. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Well, at least I know who to address my angry letter to.

5. jmh

jmh New Member

Gas prices aren't expensive because of Presidential policy, gas prices are expensive because we use too much gas, as a result of 60 years of public policy favoring the automobile over other forms of transportation.

6. FulhamAg

FulhamAg New Member

Nah, it's because God hates us. :wink:

Or it could be a combination of factors including increased demand from China and India.

Re W: at least we're not in a recession....well, techinically....according to Wall Street....depending on which index you look at....

7. krhimself

krhimself New Member

Re: RE: Gas Price: Dubya

I think that article hits it right on the head, to be honest. In comparison with other places around the world, the gas prices here are, well, bearable.

8. jmh

jmh New Member

Re: RE: Gas Price: Dubya

We tend to feel that they're unbearable, though, in comparison to folks in Germany (who pay something like double what we do), for example, because we're so dependent on driving for all our transportation needs. Subdivisions aren't built for people to walk from place to place (I didn't realize this but a lot of towns build streets without sidewalks), people don't take cycling seriously as a mode of transportation, and our rail network is third-rate in a lot of ways.

9. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Also, in countries like Germany, the taxes on gasoline, tobacco, alcohol and the like go to subsidize their public infrastructure and to provide quality medical care to all their civilians.

If we did that, I'd happily pay their prices. However, by the time we have their prices, it would still all go to the bigwigs at the oil companies.

10. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Sorry, guys.. it absolutely IS down to Dubya's Administration though there's plenty other culprits to share the blame.
    I wont go into that, here... you know what I think about that.

The KEY thing is 'printing' money to keep the Prime rate down and the pump primed.
    He's an ex oil guy, he should have known the risks. Oil defines the dollar not the other way around, however when the intrinsic value of the currency drops, the price of the supporting commodity will rise.

Another thing is he should have done more to force opening up proven reserves.

Now, waiting for the other shoe... as the writer says, this price cannot be sustained.

Didnt I say in another thread a week or so ago that I have the feeling a lot of people are getting in to sell short?