Fun with Google Maps

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by pettyfog, Jul 14, 2008.

1. pettyfog

pettyfog Well-Known Member

Especially now they have street view!

This is scraped from the 'I saw a UFO' thread. I got carried away... with Don's help.
    You guys are talking about 'the strip' just outside the main gates of just about ANY Mil installation. Even had them at Wright-Pat. Only thing different I saw at Patuxent River MD was they had slot machines in every shop.
    All gone now, probably. Everything is 'sanitized'*
    Speaking of UFO and sighting rarities, when I was in about the 5th grade we stopped our class activities one day to go to the windows and watch this famous Mig 15thundering around doing low altitude passes. That was back when AF pilots had some latitude on when they were allowed to put on impromptu 'shows'. Normally flights 'over town' especially school days were not allowed. We figured the pilot was showing off for his kid{s}.

Quaint Wright-Pat rules of the time: All 'dailies' {aircraft checkouts including engine run-ups} had to be completed by 8:30 AM on school days and Sundays. No elective flight testing or Takeoffs on Sundays between 9 and 12. There was NO early church service in Fairborn Ohio in the fifties... Catholic church, excepted.

Click Here to see why, click 'street view' to see the school I went to.

Dontcha LOVE Google maps.. esp now they have 'Street view'!
    Wanna see where I lived as a kid?
    That little darker clumps below the pointer and right next to the road, is where the house and barns were. No street view

*This is the Current view of WPAFB 'Main Gate'. Pan around, all those tacky shops and car lots are gone.

2. jmh

jmh New Member

Speaking of Google Maps Street View, they recently did image capture in London, so depending on how broad their scope was, keep an eye out for images of the Stevenage Road facade of the Cottage. I took a look at some of the images from along the Tour de France route and the resolution is much better than images that were captured earlier on. If you put your little guy along the Rue de Rivoli (by the way, the little guy is cleverly rendered as a man on a bicycle to represent the TdF route), you can actually read signs in store windows. (Well, maybe some of you can; I can't because they're in French.)

3. pettyfog

Re: RE: Fun with Google Maps

Two things... WTF would Barack {who can't speak spanish, either} say!

And dont hijack the hijack fix.
    Oh, and figger out how to nail down the addresses and post the links.

If you want to see how to bury the links just do 'quote' and copy how I do it.

NO VISIBLE LONG LINKS PLEASE!

4. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Those of us who are not as comfortable with 21st century America as we are with 19th century Europe or early 20th Century West Asia may not have a clue as to how to do this. :?

5. jmh

jmh New Member

I know how to properly post links, thank you. I just chose not to.

6. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

Fog, you lived in Fairborn? No wonder you're so conservative -- was it a backlash to Hippie U right down the road? I saw where they closed it down due to a lack of finds and academic rigor. I'm fudging the last part, but one has something to do with the other.

Wait -- my mistake, I got Yellow Springs and Fairborn confused :oops:

7. pettyfog

umm you notice I lived on Yellow Springs road? In fact YS -at that time- was by and large conservative, despite the Marxists on campus.. more so than Fairborn which had a lot of union voters.

It was live and let live and keeping a sense of humor via pointing and laughing.

Still the best way.

8. pettyfog

I just frekin TOLD you how. Want to try reading it again?
    Meaning of course 'quote' a post on which I buried a link.

9. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

Pretty cool. Bet that wasn't a soccer field off to the right of the school back in your day fog.

10. pettyfog

Nope... ball diamonds with backstops at the outer corners. We brought our ball gloves with us to school and played before school {bus kids} and during recess... no nanny litigation fearing principals, then!

In fall we played football, supposed touch but always ended tackle. We were a freakin mess during the final class periods.
    That of course ended once boy-girl became the primary free-time sport... IIRC about the seventh grade.