FulView for January 2023

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by MicahMan, Feb 2, 2023.

1. MicahMan

MicahMan Administrator

Before we get into the review of Fulham's January, let's take a moment to thank January's site sponsor: @sacffc

Where Fulham Started January:
    25 Points
    7th Place

January Record: 2W 2L 0D
    3 GF, 3 GA
    Points Per Match: 1.5 (1.5 for the Season)

Where Fulham Ended January:
    31 Points
    7th Place

A five game win streak came to an end in mid-January, but Fulham is still 7th in the League and still playing in the FA Cup. Fulham saw off Leicester before achieving one of their most memorable victories ever when they beat Chelsea 2-1 at Craven Cottage. It was a spectacular team performance that earned three points against their West London rivals for the first time in 17 years. The memory of that victory is still pretty sweet despite narrow losses to Newcastle and Tottenham and a draw against Sunderland in the FA Cup.

As Fulham heads into the second half of the season, they are clearly on track to reach safety and can entertain other ideas like making a deeper run in the FA Cup and possibly finishing high enough for European play. However, one thing has been weighing on me that makes me a little concerned that Fulham can't keep up the current pace. Of the 15 red cards handed out this year, Fulham as been the beneficiary in four of them - 27%! Three of those helped Fulham get wins against Chelsea, Aston Villa, and Crystal Palace - the last two being the only matches where Fulham won by more than a goal. No team has played against 10 men more than Fulham and they are unlikely to continue that fortunate run over the rest of the season. Fulham certainly had a shot to win all of those matches without the man advantage, but I do worry that the red card advantages combined with the many close wins, has brought Fulham unsustainable success.

It must be said though, that after the ups and downs of the past 10 years feeling consistently good about Fulham is unfamiliar and I may just be looking for excuses to bring myself down a little!

Fulham did have a pretty good transfer window - no key players were lost and the most immediate needs, except possibly another striker option, were taken care of. Fulham will need everyone ready to go as they play 5 matches in the short month of February.

astroevan likes this.