Fulham's Winter Window: Guess who's in or out..

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by pettyfog, Sep 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Hmm...there seems to be a snag on Gooch...the Standard Leige website is reporting that he was in London to meet with Fulham about a transfer, but is has not been successful yet. He is returning to train with the team (Standard) for Friday? Tyring to get a bidding war started? I think so.

2. tibor

tibor New Member

I think my head might explode if we get both of them. It's a chance I'm willing to take.

3. SCFulhamFan

SCFulhamFan Active Member

4 American's on one team. New team deal with American Airlines. CC seen at a few MLS games. Fulham is working mighty hard to get their name out in the states. I know the FFC Club shop already has a bunch of my USDs.

4. GaryBarnettFanClub

GaryBarnettFanClub New Member

Unless he has failed the medical it will be down to the bean counters to sort out the deal. Once the medical is over there is littel gained by waiting around.

5. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

I really don't think he will sign for us. There is also reported interest from AC Milan and this deal now sounds as though we may not of offered enough money or a team like Milan offered much more than we offered. I mean didn't Real Madrid offer like $10M for Gooch, but only didn't get him because they couldn't find a replacement in time? Would Mo actually spend 6M pounds on one player? I really don't think so, but I hope he can prove me wrong though.

6. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

Just read that we agreed a deal for Hayden Mullins. Good signing if true.

7. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

where did you read that? who the heck is he?

8. GaryBarnettFanClub

Mullins plays for West Ham, used to play for Palace. Is a defensive midfielder.

9. FFC24

FFC24 New Member

He plays for west Ham and is a defensive midfielder. I think its on Eurosport.

10. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

ok...i had heard of him before

11. jmh

jmh New Member

Regarding Gooch, *if* he agrees to a deal with FFC (not counting any chickens yet), would we have to go through the same work permit appeal process as Dempsey? Does he have the required caps and/or is it a simpler process because he's already playing in Europe?

12. omsdogg

omsdogg New Member

13. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Unless I'm mistaken, once he has an EEC job, he's pretty much all clear for any EEC member country.

14. GaryBarnettFanClub

Work permits and immigrations are different throughout the union. The Eurpean Union allows and individual from any member state to work in any other member state but he would still need a work permit to work in the UK.

Gooch has played in 17 international matches since his debute in 2005, as long as the US has played 22 matches or less in that time he qualifies as playing in 75% of international matches.

The work permit rule in the UK revolves around the idea that the person who is being employed is bringing skills that are unavailable from the pool of EU employees, that is what they have to prove with Dempsey. Dempsey or Gooch being a better deal than a comparable midfielder/defender plying their trade in Europe is not a compelling enough reason to gain a work permit.

Added:

For more information on the working permit application for footballers see:

LINK

15. SCFulhamFan

SCFulhamFan Active Member

16. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

From the article:

Hmm...me thinks Gooch is not coming to the cottage. :sad:

17. FFCinPCB

FFCinPCB New Member

I started laughing to myself about this rumour much earlier today. No way 1 million pounds was enough.

So now is when I tell the Fulham brass to, "GET YOUR HEADS OUTA YOUR ASS!!!!"

(For a few moments I tricked myself earlier today, when the little voices [on FFC, TFI, Twofif, and others] just wouldn't stop. What a fool I am for that.)

18. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

19. Spencer

Spencer Active Member

For real Gooch for 1mil would be an absolute steal. It costs you about 1mil to get a good leauge one or leauge two player and Gooch has far better pedigree than that. My guess is 2.5-3 million would be reasonable.

Does anyone have an opinion on this Montella? 3 goals in 5 apperances this season but he's not young.

btw mlsnet.com has an article on Dempsey deal

http://web.mlsnet.com/news/mls_news.jsp ... &fext=.jsp

This is not a confirmation from the league but simply an article from one of the sites writers reporting on the reports. Says the NYtimes puts price at 4million USD so 2 million pounds. This is a good price and I am very happy about this deal!

20. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Since December 30, I've seen several "we're getting him on loan" and "he's joined the fold," postings in this thread. But I haven't seen Cookie comment on being committed to anyone but Dempsey, and there's precious little on the Offal. So two questions:

1. Can somebody {American Mike} please identify who we have indeed signed as of this evening and in what capacity [loan, transfer, return from loan]?
    2. And can somebody rescue this thread from its current "double-wide" status? I'm going nuts with my space bar here!