Fulham vs. Wolverhampton

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by jumpkutz, Dec 24, 2018.

1. jumpkutz

jumpkutz Well-Known Member

Boxing Day! (wish we had an extra holiday between Christmas and New Year’s). Wolves are 10th with 5 more wins and 15 more points than us. They’ve been as good on the road as at home, so we’ll have to put in good shifts all the way around. And they’re easily the best of the promoted teams: Cardiff are 17th and have the same goal difference as us. Again, this one’s more about our issues than anything they’re doing or not doing. Diogo Jota is out for them, he also missed their 2-nil loss to scousers at Molineux Saturday, so no biggie. If we’re to have any hope of survival, we must start winning these games. I think the first goal (if there are any) will be key. If we get it, we now know we have the ability to make it stand. If they get the first, especially if it’s early, we’ll be lucky to get another draw. I think the holiday fixture bunch up helps us. We’ve got a clean sheet to start, but if things go south, we have immediate opportunities to correct them. If we can build off the shutout, we can at least start to dig out of this massive hole we’ve made. But we’ve got to start winning...not drawing...WINNING against teams like Wolves and the rest not named Citeh, ManUre, scousers, Spuds, Gooners and the undead. Cause we ain’t beating any of those guys right now. I think we’ll score at home in this one. It’ll be decided by our defending (shock). If we let in 2 or more, the clean sheet at Toons becomes irrelevant. And we’re back in deep doo-doo.

MicahMan likes this.
  2. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

As I pointed out in my mea culpa, I thought Wolves looked more impressive against Liddypuddle than we did. Of course, they were at home and we were away AND we should have had a penalty and their second goal shouldn't have counted, but ...

... as commented above, they've played better than us. I still look forward to three points.

As to Boxing Day ... had we an imperial past, we might have had this as well. Rich people and royalty giving their leftovers from Christmas Dinner to their far-flung flunkies. Hmmm, we're heading in that direction, so ... .

3. jumpkutz

Heads up, Fulhamericans! It's the early match: kickoff at 7:30 A.M.!!! Eastern! (Sorry Joe, that's 4:30 a.m. for you). I'm on vacation, so I'll be in front of the telly bright and early. If any of you have recovered from the egg nog overdose, I'll attempt to check in on the chat. The Keurig's on early auto!

SoCalJoe likes this.
  4. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

hope to make the chatroom at some point ... assuming I'm up early enough to catch the match live

5. MicahMan

MicahMan Administrator

No Tom Cairney and no Ryan Sessegnon to start. Kamara apparently impressed enough last week to get the start over Cairney while Sessegnon is healthy enough to at least make the bench. Except for the one change the starting XI is unchanged:

Rico
    Odoi, Mawson, Ream
    Christie, Chambers, Seri, Bryan
    Kamara, Mitrovic, Schurrle

Subs: Bettinelli, Le Marchand, Sessegnon, McDonald, Cairney, Ayite, Vietto

6. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Arg!!! Didn’t realize it was the 4:30 match until 6:55. Thanks James for the heads up, but last few days have been crazy. Sounds like it was 2 points lost from the report, hate the wording ‘bundled home’ the tying goal in the 85th.

Wishing everyone joy yesterday, today, and manana.

encorespanish likes this.
  7. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Strange match. Mitro had 5 or 6 golden chances in the first half -- two month's worth recently -- and couldn't convert, only to come so close to putting it all away late in the second.

Got some concerns about Ranieri. We completely bossed the first half and then let Wolves have the ball for about 80% of the second. What drove me nuts was once we scored against the run of play, we got even more passive. It's frustrating controlling the match and then begging for a point at the end because we just stopped attacking.

Hope to see Sess, Kamara, and Mitro in the attack Saturday, and for the rest of the season.

TV commentator's stat of the day: Wolves kept the same starting XI for the first 9 matches and have played the fewest players of any PL side. Consistency! Gee, I wonder where we'd be if we'd done the same.

encorespanish likes this.
  8. sacffc

sacffc Well-Known Member

If it weren't for the 5 minutes of parking the bus, we were looking to have consecutive clean sheets after all our defensive problems. Damn.

9. jumpkutz

Also concerned about Claudio’s positional tinkering. We’re not in a position to experiment for matches. That’s what the training ground is for. Thought we did OK in the first half, not so good in the 2nd, even though we scored first against the run of play. Like some have already said, we regressed after scoring. At home. That’s disappointing. It also occurs to me that Mitro is not the type of striker that thrives in a counterattacking system, which we’ve obviously switched to due to our defensive issues. Still had lots of chances go begging.
    Improving, but not quickly enough to get the points we need. Got to start finding a way to win these kinds of matches.

10. MicahMan

MicahMan Administrator

Following the match through text feeds while working I felt like we were unlucky not to get 3 points. However, after watching the highlights I think Fulham was lucky to not give up a PK from Odoi's handball and Chambers was lucky not to have been sent off.

Fulham did manage to get off the bottom of the table, but Crystal Palace having beaten Citeh over the weekend, didn't have enough in the tank to get anything more than a draw from Cardiff. That means Fulham is still 4 points from safety (5 given Fulham's poor goal differential).

11. jumpkutz

There WERE lots of good things. Sess came back from injury with a bang (which reminds me: when’s the last time one of our subs scored the first goal of the match?). Defense was better, despite being unable to hold a lead. Overall individual performances were better. Two solid outings to build upon.

nevzter and MicahMan like this.