Fulham vs Wolverhampton Wanderers

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by jumpkutz, Apr 8, 2021.

1. jumpkutz

jumpkutz Well-Known Member

We haven’t played particularly well at home, save the spirited draw with Scousers with the best pandemic support to date. It’s past time to change that, and past time for Scott to park the bus if we get a lead. As Joka used to say, we have to be braver on the ball. I think we can be, but Mr. Parker has to let some guys loose to create more quality scoring chances. Can we do it? I don’t know, but I’d like to think we could. But I saw some stats from FOF that are pretty telling:

A quick look at the statistics on the official site gives all the answers in my opinion.

RLC. 1 goal 0 assists 1921 minutes
    Anguissa 0 goals 3 assists 2,226 minutes
    Tete. 0 goals 2 assists 1,328 minutes
    Robinson 0 goals 0 assists 2,102 minutes
    Cav 3 goals 0 assists 2,015 minutes
    Lookman 4 goals 4 assists 2,367 minutes
    DCR 7 goals 0 assists 2,077 minutes
    Mitro 4 goals 4 assists 1,522 minutes

Attacking threat is almost non existent.

SoCalJoe, MicahMan and encorespanish like this.
  2. daddude7

daddude7 Well-Known Member

I am no longer an optimist about our chances to stay up.

MicahMan likes this.
  3. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Well, to put a little perspective on Mr. JK's list, Anguissa, Tete, and Robinson are not those we would be looking for to score/assist if we were comfortable mid-table.

Having said all that, while I'm comfortable with my opinion that we have the players and management to keep us comfortably in the Premier League, I agree that we have to take control of the game. Have a look at my ancient article on the front page. Fulham are NOT the team that hits the pitch and says to our opponents, "Dudes, you're playing OUR game today."

I think we don't survive in the Prem if we don't win tomorrow. Three points behind with Newcastle having three matches in hand ... not so good.

SoCalJoe and MicahMan like this.
  4. dtowndough

dtowndough Active Member

Bringing the Davies shirt out of retirement (too small) today for some good luck!

SoCalJoe likes this.
  5. astroevan

astroevan Well-Known Member

Wolves have not won a match in their last five and Fulham have only won once in their last five. So... a draw? The team has got to be feeling the pressure now and, just like some of us are thinking, be realizing the magnitude of these matches. I'm not certain that this is a must win but the points are available. There are six matches after this one and three are against top ten teams (currently 2, 5, 10) and three are against teams just above Fulham (13, 15, 17). Ideally, you win the three versus lower table competition and pull a couple of draws out of the others. Realistically though... I guess we'll have to watch to see.

BarryWhite and SoCalJoe like this.
  6. dtowndough

dtowndough Active Member

1-0 good guys today.

BarryWhite and SoCalJoe like this.
  7. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Scotty should bring RLC into his office and challenge him. If he thinks Chelsea would want him back he is simply delusional. The guy shows his quality practically every match, but also head scratching stuff that has made him this season’s whipping boy for the English Fulham fanbase. He wants to be at bigger club?? Start playing like the best player on the pitch.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2021
    MicahMan and BarryWhite like this.
  8. BarryWhite

BarryWhite Well-Known Member

I’ve been waiting all season for things to click for this squad. It has to today IMO. COYW’s!

dtowndough likes this.
  9. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

HatterMom and I would like three points for our 44th anniversay ... PLEASE, DAMMIT!

10. dtowndough

dtowndough Active Member

what a gut punch. I thought they deserved the full 3 points and then to lose out on the point. The look on Parker's face said it all.

MicahMan likes this.
  11. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

I try to keep an even head, but this is the lowest I've felt in a long time. We're toast. Wolves were atrocious today and we still lost 2-0 for all intents and purposes.

encorespanish likes this.
  12. astroevan

astroevan Well-Known Member

If they can’t even hold steady in extra time (they relented in both of them today), then how do expect to avoid relegation?

13. MicahMan

MicahMan Administrator

The sad highlights:

If not for injury time, I felt like there were a number of positives today. I thought that Kongolo played well (thankfully he didn't move his knee just a little further left on the early offside goal) despite playing for the first time this season. Robinson got a number of good crosses into the box, Andersen again was sending beautiful long balls down the field, and Anguissa looked great coming on as a sub. However once again Fulham just couldn't score. Sometimes a cross wasn't well placed, sometimes Mitrovic or RLC just didn't convert, sometimes a ball went dangerously through the Wolverhampton box with no one in white in a position to do anything with it.

Then at the end Areola made a single bad decision and cost Fulham the draw. He didn't seem to think Traore would shoot and he didn't get close enough to the near post.

After the match Lemina left the field in tears. It was a clear sign of how much importance they put on this game, how hard they are fighting to stay up, and how dire the situation is. As I said in response to Don's post on Facebook - There is a big difference between "all dead" and "mostly dead" and Fulham is only MOSTLY dead. And yes, it will take a miracle.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2021
  14. BarryWhite

Mostly dead. That feels about right tonight.

15. stlouisbrad

stlouisbrad Well-Known Member

Just watched the replay. I'm still not convinced wolves didn't score in the 1st half. To come out in the second and play decent and give up that goal....it just hurt. Geez. I had a few positives to point out and now I just want to forget this game. What a waste.

BarryWhite likes this.
  16. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

So, here we are. Newcastle made half-time changes, brought on attackers, and are now 6 points ahead of us with a game in hand. Our failure to beat weakened opponents down the stretch has done us in. We should have won both of our last two matches easily, but we didn't have the fire that our fellow celler dwellers did.

17. BarryWhite

The story of this season is offensive ineffectiveness. Only the Blades have scored fewer goals than Fulham this season and I see no indication of that changing before the season ends.

18. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

Burnley have scored as many goals in 2021 at the Cottage as we have, and that match was played in a snow storm

astroevan and MicahMan like this.