Fulham vs. Tottenham - Carabao Cup 2nd Round

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by MicahMan, Aug 28, 2023.

1. MicahMan

MicahMan Administrator

Fulham host Tottenham in the second round of the Carabao Cup. The match kicks off at 2:45pm EDT and is one of the only matches being carried by ESPN+ on Tuesday.

Not sure how to approach this one. I'd say it is most important to avoid any long term injuries to key players, so no Palhinha or Leno. I'd guess Traore gets a start over Wilson too. Then it is a question of how hard to push for a win against Tottenham vs getting any points against Manchester City. Do you let DeCordova-Reid, Tete, and Robinson rest after putting in big shifts against Arsenal or start them because there are so few options on the bench? Bassey and Silva will both miss the match - Bassey because of his red and Silva because of three yellows. Silva will still be in the stands, but not on the touchline.

Tottenham should win because of their far deeper bench. The lack of available players for Fulham is a big flashing warning that more signings are needed in the next three days.

nevzter likes this.
  2. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

I'd hope Fulham go for it today - the club isn't going to achieve any points this weekend even if Marsh, Murphy and Mitrovic were all dressed - rest the boys this weekend, but play to advance today.
    COYW!!!

3. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

nevzter likes this.
  4. daddude7

daddude7 Well-Known Member

Allowing a goal during Kenny’s shoe mishap was a Fulhamish thing if I ever saw one. But we survived it! This will give the guys even more confidence for City. It was a blue collar performance from everyone, and I can’t think of a specific player for the MOTM. I will note I was pleasantly surprised by Muniz, but I hadn’t expected much.

nevzter and MicahMan like this.
  5. MicahMan

MicahMan Administrator

The highlights if you need them:

My thoughts exactly @daddude7 about the missing shoe goal! But then it was Kenny Tete and The New Shoe that won the match! Get that shoe bronzed, it is legendary!

My apologies to Fulham for doubting them. I thought they had no way of getting through this match. A number of folks on the Fulhamish podcast predicted a Fulham win via a shootout, so kudos to them.

I also felt good for Rodak that he could come through with some heroics since he has to watch Leno so often. The PK save was great, but I was also thrilled he was all over Solomon's shot. That would have been a terrible way to lose.

And credit to Silva for putting a strong team out there. He went for the brass ring and got it.

SoCalJoe and nevzter like this.
  6. stlouisbrad

stlouisbrad Well-Known Member

Avoided the score and watched the game around 9 p.m. local time and was rewarded with a W. That was a treat.

SoCalJoe likes this.
  7. MicahMan

MicahMan Administrator

Fulham's highlight clip features a number of moments that weren't in the EFL highlights, although it entirely misses the shoe incident.

SoCalJoe likes this.