Fulham vs Spurs FA Cup 6th Round

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by timmyg, Mar 1, 2010.

1. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

I still don't know why I'm not confident about this one, despite last week's performance against Juventus.

And I've said it before, but Fulham always looks the part to score with Dempsey on the pitch, so Mr. Hodgson, please start him from the get go. And given the big, fat ZERO registered this year against Spurs, the Whites need all the attacking bite they can muster, even if it means playing Davies at right back.

2. nevzter

...And, my Directv guide says "Reading" is playing Tottenham at 5pm tomorrow. Maybe, if Spurs are also confused as to which club they're to play, Fulham stands a better chance?

3. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Although I have the "spurs v. Reading replay" scheduled to record, I'm going to be looking for a link so as to watch "live." If I'm successful, I hope to drop into the chatroom.

COYW

4. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

No chatroom for me, I won't be back from school, but I hope to see a repeat of when I walked through the door Thursday, see the score, and start losing my mind in the living room.

COYW

5. jimsig

jimsig Active Member

Ill be working so I'll have to check on my phone for results

6. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

There is only one thing missing so far from this magical season...a signature away win versus a top English side.

24 away matches this year and the squad has found a result half the time (4 wins, 8 draws). 2 Europa League wins (Vetra and more importantly Basel to advance). The Whites won at Pompey to start the Prem season, and won at Accrington Stanley to advance in this competition.

The Keys; Draw upon the feeling the team had at Shaktar recently after the game, it was a 1-1 final, but it felt like a victory.

Brede being good to go. Roy held him out of Citeh for this one, he'll be out there.

The Captain: I know Murph feels indebted to his teammates for getting him to the next round of Europa. Now he can pay it back by coming up huge.

Roy: A 0--0 draw thru extra time until pks is highly unlikely. Now is the time to be bold and go all out for victory.

The supporters: I'm guessing there will be at least 3000 in the away section. The team needs to feel that support.

COYW!!!!!

7. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Here's the lineup:

TEAMS Tottenham v Fulham
    Tottenham: Gomes, Corluka, Bassong, Dawson, Assou-Ekotto, Kranjcar, Palacios, Modric, Bale, Gudjohnsen, Crouch. Subs: Alnwick, Bentley, Huddlestone, Pavlyuchenko, Rose, Livermore, Townsend.
    Fulham: Schwarzer, Kelly, Hangeland, Hughes, Konchesky, Duff, Etuhu, Murphy, Davies, Gera, Zamora. Subs: Zuberbuhler, Baird, Okaka, Riise, Dempsey, Smalling, Greening.
    Referee: Martin Atkinson (W Yorkshire)

COYW

8. JP-STL

JP-STL New Member

I guess Demps isn't fit for a full 90 yet. I hope he gets in the game, at least for a half.

9. jmh

jmh New Member

Well that sucked.

10. LaxAttack

LaxAttack Well-Known Member

First Half: Yay!
    Second Half: Boo!

11. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

Well this match was won when 'Arry made a gamble at HT, bringing on Bentley and Huddleston; and moved (or quarantined?) Palacios to RB while making Gudjohnson their roving CM.

I think had he tried something similar against a better side, he would have paid for it.

Spurs were ripe for a counter but, unfortunately for us, within a span of 15 minutes the gamble paid off. And the game was effectively over.

DAMMIT.

12. Clevelandmo

Clevelandmo Active Member

THE AGONY.
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOO
    :3d crying: :3d crying: :3d crying:
    :3d crying: :3d crying: :3d crying:

13. FulhamAg

FulhamAg New Member

That sucked is right. Poor result but not a bad FA run. At least we still have Europe.

Imo we went far too defensive far too early and then waited a little too long to bring on the offensive spark. I was thinking if we could get on the board first and do it early we'd have a good shot at them but as we closed out the first half, it felt like a Spurs goal was imminent.

When trying to turn up the offense, I wonder why Roy doesn't pull Etuhu? He's pretty much a liability offensively and gave Spurs one less guy to worry about marking.

More spark from Okaka. Hopefully he can get a game down the stretch. I'd like to see him work his creativity with Bob's target man play. I'd also like to see Simon find the bench and get back to Demps and Duff on the wings.

Oh well, 'Arry can go bag on the team he bankrupted at Wembley, we've got German fish to fry.

14. BarryP

BarryP New Member

Does anyone else feel like the worst thing Fulham can do on the road is score an early goal?

Fulham was very good for the first 25 to 30 minutes and then Schwarzer was far to busy for the rest of the match. Gareth Bale looked good early for Spurs and the worst thing that happened to Fulham was Gudjohson was moved to midfield.

Zamora's goal was beautiful and the pass from Duff was outstanding. Too bad we couldnt't duplicate it for a second goal while things were rolling Fulhams way. So close but so far away. Regardless I am proud to be a Fulham fan.

15. jmh

jmh New Member

Admittedly I've been listening and not watching, but it sounds like Okaka has had some golden chances the last two matches and blown them.

16. nevzter

Congrats on the run by the Whites as it has been a damn fine performance with a kind draw as well. Fulham should've taken care of this at home, so I shouldn't complain...

That said, I concur with the above posts that Etuhu should be subbed once in a while for offense b/c he offers little to nothing going forward (he's a solid defender though, and an ok distributor as long as the target is within 10 yards). I suspect it's the Italian-influence that prevents Hodgson from subbing the defensive midfielder (thoughts?).

Spurs showed some class after that fluke, f$*&#ing free-kick went in. The keeping and defending on Spurs' 2nd looked like traffic cones though.

And considering Fulham's best scoring threat (after Zamora) spent 70 minutes on the bench...I fault Roy for that one. However, while I don't think Dempsey's inclusion would've made much of a difference tonight, you never know. Hodgson is brilliant, but I still believe I can criticize his decisions until he walks on water or turns water to wine (preferably, a nice zinfandel or syrah).

17. nevzter

...and now we have to listen to talking heads spew myriad Redknappy Dugout vs. Portsmouth stories, and yet, all will address the exact same subjects. Oy.

Damnnit, Fulham, Damnit all to hell.

18. SteveM19

SteveM19 New Member

Aw crap.

Spurs still blow.

19. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Yes they do, Steve, and their gaffer is a thug who has no conscience. He can, however, coach and his halftime substitutions turned the game around. These were two guys who didn't have the gas to do 90 minutes, but they solved Spuds major problem in the first half, which was Kelly, Duff, Murphy, and Hughes basically controlling Ekotto, Bale, and the entire left side of Spuds's attack. While I fully expect to read page after page of Kelly-bashing on the Brit Fulham sites, I thought he was one of out three best players on the pitch in the first half.

But 'arry changed things, and a fluke which was also a missed offside call changed everything and the momentum shifted in a split second -- just as it did against City. Once that happened, the truth came out -- 'arry has more creative talent than we do. The better team won. Turn the page.

A couple of comments on comments above. I wasn't going to watch the replay but, after about 3 hours of pouting, I watched it primarily to see how Dempsey and Okaka looked -- specifically to see, as was pointed out before, how badly Okaka missed two sitters in the closing minutes [as reported by GJ]. Funniest thing, I didn't see anything like ONE missed sitter, never mind two. I think GJ is upset that Roy likes the new girl more than he does GJ's Viking Angel. I thought Okaka troubled a fairly weak Spuds central defense, and I really hope we keep him. He's already a bigger concern off the bench than Nevland is.

I wish SOME PEOPLE would recognize that it is Etuhu's job to (a) disrupt the opponents passing, (b) win the ball, and (c) quickly distribute the ball to the nearest teammate once he's won it. Once again, Etuhu did this job brilliantly yesterday, and once again people are trashing him for NOT doing what he's not out there to do. Sliming Etuhu for doing what Roy puts him out there to do, would be like ending every review of a Fulham match with "And AGAIN Hughes didn't get a shot on target."

As concerns our not going after a second goal, I saw us go after it a good dozen times while it was still 1-0. There were two weaknesses in the Spuds setup that Roy worked on. One was the fact that Ekotto is an undisciplined FB who can be easily flustered by passes into the area behind him. It was his abject inability to deal with Duff and Kelly's forays on the right that caused Spuds to adjust to Duff's crossfield run by shoring up their left and by leaving their center weak [and allowing Bobby to score as a result). So, this worked and, on another day, we might have gotten another goal or two [Bobby was about 6 inches too far forward on Gera's late cross or we get a consolation.

The other Spuds weakness that we probed was in trying to turn their CB on their right. Time and again Duff, Kelly, Murphy, and Zamora sprung Davies and Gera with passes just beyond that last defender. On at least 6 occasions we came within a few inches of pulling it off to perfection. The desire was there and the execution was there, but it just didn't go well. An inch either way on half those occasions and we're up 3-0 at the half and Harry has noplace to go.

So we got beat by a better team because their manager reacted well to watching his better team being controlled by our lesser team. We ran the first 45 minutes; they ran the last. We should have taken care of business at home.

I'm still gutted and pissed off; I really wanted Wembley this season. But we didn't lose because we weren't using the best guys or because we got complacent or because we were outcoached. We lost to a better team on their patch.

But it has sure been a hell of a ride.

20. timmyg

timmyg Well-Known Member

Good stuff as always Don.

And here's a stat about Spurs that people tend to forget/boggles my mind: since 2005-06 Spurs have spent about 225 million pounds. Or a quarter billion pounds.

Sure, they've also offloaded a whole bunch of that outlay.

But all of their goal scorers last night cost more (in transfers and wages) than our entire team combined.