Fulham vs Reading IN THE BLOODY PLAYOFFS!

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by jumpkutz, May 10, 2017.

1. LaxAttack

LaxAttack Well-Known Member

Hell of a season. Bring on 2017-18.

HatterDon likes this.
  2. AggieMatt

AggieMatt Well-Known Member

Bummer, another season in the shadows. Good season though and at least we're headed in the right direction. Hopefully we're in the mix again next year (and sooner).

3. jumpkutz

jumpkutz Well-Known Member

I wasn't able to follow the match as closely since I was working, but I'm just as gutted as the rest of you. I really thought we'd prevail, but credit to Reading. Their gaffter had a plan, they executed it, and it worked. And as I said I hoped Betts would become our post season hero, you can ride a hot keeper to trophy run success. Today it was their guy, apparently. Exhausted. Will post more after I peruse the video. But can't be too disappointed. Remember where we were last year, and the past few seasons back to the start of the relegation season. We've come a long way in a short time. When does the fixture list come out?

4. dtowndough

dtowndough Active Member

I was stuck in a training all day and saw the text come through "bs call." Knew it couldn't be great. But what a season. And hopefully they stick together and realize that they will be top2 going into next season! COYW

5. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

I'd trade this for any relegation scrap - onward and upward. solid season.

(just score a friggin' chance in Reading when it matters (Nevland, where are you?)..had to say it, now I'm done)

COYW

MicahMan likes this.
  6. americanmike

americanmike Administrator

I went to the game and our fans were amazing - funny how a good season like this one can really change the mood of an entire fan base overnight.

The harshness of the penalty and the fact they only won 1-0 is why it is a bitter pill to swallow. For the first time in years I truly felt like a fan again. A nice feeling.

7. dcheather

dcheather Administrator

Followed the game through my phone for most of the match and watched the last 5 minutes. For once, like Mike, I started to feel like a fan again...pacing around and shouting "go on and shoot the ball." Haven't done that in awhile.

BarryWhite and MicahMan like this.
  8. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Echo the sentiments of positivity, what a fun season. We all want to get back to The Show, but playing in a division where we can win every week isn't a bad thing (just need to have better access on tv).

I would be remiss not to vent about Rowan Atkinson. Two guys get their arms tangled on the edge of the box and that a-hole calls it. Refereeing is a tough gig, but in the years watching Fulham and the Prem he seems to have one or two inexplicable calls every match. A good ref and you don't even know remember his presence. This guy makes his presence known and to the detriment of some poor team more than any ref in the sport.

nevzter likes this.
  9. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Wore my Woodrow shirt all day. A guy at the grocery store smiled and said "Hope you make it back to the Premier League." It's been a long long time since I've gotten any reaction from wearing Fulham gear.

We could have been a bit more clinical in front of goal. Having said that, we pressured them and our attacks were effective.

I thought Malone was only about 75% focused. Based on his usual level of play, it was very noticeable to me. Unfortunately, when Sess came on, all he was was fast. He wasn't clever or effective -- just fast.

The "no striker" formation that has worked so well for us throughout the second half of the season didn't work today. Ayite and Aluko were ineffective. With Malone under par, only Frederick was a real threat wide.

Cairney looked like a very good player today. Thing is, he's looked a lot more than that the last few months.

The penalty was a gut punch, but no blame should be down to Atkinson. "Live" it looked dodgy. The replay made the fact that Reading handled first very clear. The second replay only showed the ball rolling down our guys' forearm -- a clear no-doubt penalty. The problem is that the second replay was EXACTLY what the ref saw. Hard dart.

Our attack improved by at least 75% when Martin came on the pitch. He came close to scoring twice and provided some needed physicality in the box. I was disappointed [but not surprised] when his appearance was met with boos. I'm glad he's gone. I'm tired of the childishness about him every time he appears.

There was no shame in losing today. We finished a season to be proud of with a good, professional performance that was good enough to get us to Wembley ... were it not for al Habsi.

Rooting for Wednesday in the final.

Enjoyed hearing nothing but Spanish over the TV during the match. It reminded me of the 1970 World Cup ... not to mention the the 78 cup which I heard entirely in Greek.

Hatter Don's MoTM is Kevin McDonald.

So very very very proud to be Fulham today.

encorespanish, jumpkutz and MicahMan like this.