Fulham vs. Manchester United

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by jumpkutz, Jan 18, 2021.

1. jumpkutz

jumpkutz Well-Known Member

The current league leaders come to SW6 Wednesday night/afternoon for a midweek clash under the lights. It's scheduled to be on NBCSN at 3:15 p.m., Eastern.
    There's a fair chance we'll see a slightly diluted (diluted by ManUre standards anyway) lineup, at least at the start. Eric Bailly, Nemanja Matic and Edinson Cavani figure to be on the pitch when the whistle blows. Harry Maguire, Luke Shaw and Bruno Fernandes may sit due due to the risk of incurring a yellow card accumulation ban. And they're playing scousers again Saturday in the FA Cup, this time at Old Trafford. So, the stars are aligned for a monumental upset at the Cottage, right?
    Maybe.
    We'll be without Antonee Robinson, of course, due to the straight red card on Saturday against scum. Apparently Cairney and Mitro have knocks, which is news to me but, given their increasingly diminishing playing time, may not matter much. Who'd have thought we'd say that a year ago? Besides having to replace Robinson, the biggest question is: Will Scott try something different offensively, either personnel wise or tactically? It's difficult to argue for a change in methodology, given our infinitely improved competitiveness, so the logical thing to do is change some players. I suspect Joe Bryan will replace Robinson, but who's left to try up front? I feel strongly that Onomah and Kebano, despite not cutting the mustard early in the season, deserve another chance in place of BCR and Cavaleiro, even though, technically, they're midfielders. They've got the skill set to play up top. Will he do something? Or stick with what's (sort of) been working...

2. BarryWhite

BarryWhite Well-Known Member

I believe we’ll be missing BDR due to yellow card accumulation too.

3. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Still not sure why he didn't bring on AK-47 at half time against Chelsea. He's scared the crap out of opponents when brought on late recently.

nevzter likes this.
  4. daddude7

daddude7 Well-Known Member

Agreed, but also AK47 sometimes forgets that this is a game played with feet. He may be the least skillful player we have.

This is not the game to do it, but, perhaps in the cup, I'd love to see Tiehi given a chance to show what he could do against men. Or/and Abraham; he's back from his loan at Plymouth where he didn't get a real shot.

nevzter likes this.
  5. HatterDon

HatterDon Moderator

Thought the lads did very well today. Perhaps the two most creative midfielders in the Prem did us in. Fernandes hit the killer pass that split our goal-line coverage for the first, and Pogba showed his class to get the second.

I thought the lads played very well today, and I think that once we get 6 points from our next two matches, we'll be on our way. We can control the top six teams with our defensive discipline, but the only teams we can beat with our current strikers are those around us and below us. We have to be ruthless there.

nevzter and BarryWhite like this.
  6. BarryWhite

BarryWhite Well-Known Member

Agree Don, we have to be ruthless in front of goal moving forward. Good fight today but going to need some wins soon.

nevzter likes this.
  7. MicahMan

MicahMan Administrator

The highlights:

As @BarryWhite said, they looked good but Fulham desperately needs to start winning. Watching the highlights I had a sinking feeling when they showed Cavaleiro doing zilch with a great ball 35 minutes in. When they decide to show a wasted opportunity in the highlights, that is a bad omen. Lookman did a great job with his goal. I just wish Cavaleiro or RLC could have done the same when they had similar chances.

I think that Areola is a great keeper, but the past couple matches he has pushed the ball back into the center of the box on some shots - which is generally the last place the ball should be pushed. Hopefully just some fluky stuff and nothing habit forming.

(Side note for Peacock subscribers - did any of you get to see the replay? I waited and waited but eventually gave up and just watched the highlights)

8. stlouisbrad

stlouisbrad Well-Known Member

I only found the replay on peacock by doing a word search for Fulham. It wasn't in the normal place. This was over an hour after it was supposed to be available. I was getting a little angry to say the least.

MicahMan and BarryWhite like this.
  9. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

I listened to the match (non-GJ) and it provided a different perspective. The commentators agreed with above posters and gave Fulham their due for a fine performance (and recognized that this wasn't a fluke but yet another in a recent run of strong defensive showings and shabby efforts on goal), but Manchester's quality won out.

I'm so desperate to see Fulham sign a striker that I read somewhere Diego Costa is available...

COYW

10. SoCalJoe

SoCalJoe Well-Known Member

Deserved that OG at the end w/the overall performance, but the goal seems awful small at the moment. Areola seemed to have been bothered by a sliding Andersen and maybe that’s why he only managed the push instead of what appeared to be an easy stop and hold. That said he made a couple saves (the one from Cavani especially) that more then made up for it. Joe Bryan’s lack of playing time might of been a factor in his inexplicable retreat off of Pogba, the second I finished yelling at the TV ‘what is he doing?’ the shot was on its way. First rule of defending in any sport is don’t leave the guy with the ball, and Bryan did. Cav puts himself in good positions and works his butt off, but not sure if I can take too many more wasted opportunities.

Mitro needs to play more then the final 6 minutes + stoppage. He’s been in the doghouse, not fully fit, and in a slump. However, all it’s going to take is one header to find the back of the net and he’s more then capable then ripping off a bunch of goals.

11. astroevan

astroevan Well-Known Member

Watching the replay from behind the goal away from the cross, I’m not sure if the ball didn’t have some spin on it that caught Areola by surprise. Like all of you I don’t see why he didn’t just smother that thing into his chest. Maybe it skipped up funny and Areola’s only option at that point was to punch at it. It is unfortunate that he’s passed the ball directly to unmarked opponents twice in two games now.

I admit that I have been happy with the team’s play as of late, but I am starting to get very frustrated. They seem to be falling just short every time and are still sitting in the drop zone. Burnley’s shock win at Anfield today isn’t helping my mood either. Yes, Fulham beat Leicester (and drew Liverpool and Tottenham), but the bottom line is they only have TWO victories from 18 matches. I can no longer accept draws with Brighton and Newcastle.