Fulham vs. Luton

Discussion in 'Fulham FC News and Notes' started by MicahMan, May 2, 2022.

1. MicahMan

MicahMan Administrator

Fulham hosts Luton today in the penultimate match of the 2021-22 season. It will be on ESPN+ and kicks-off at the odd time of 12:15pm EDT.

The Hatter always gets high marks for his math! Yes, if Fulham gets a draw they will be on 88 points, which is the most Bournemouth can get with their remaining two matches. With Fulham's 60 to 33 advantage in goal differential, that means Fulham realistically clinches the title, but not mathematically. A win for Fulham would claim the title outright in all ways - and ensure a trophy presentation at Craven Cottage following the match.

Fulham is currently in their worst run of form for the entire season with only 10 points from the last eight matches - what a way to close things out! Meanwhile Luton is finishing strong with only one loss (Huddersfield) in their last eight. Luton is likely to make the playoffs, but it isn't for certain yet with Middlesbrough and Millwall still a threat to take either the 5th or 6th spots. Luton is dealing with a number of injuries so they won't have the full squad that has gotten them to this point.

Both teams will come into this one wanting a win to secure their futures, but will be satisfied with a point. I doubt we'll get much excitement from this match until the first goal is scored and then it could get interesting.

SoCalJoe and BarryWhite like this.
  2. daddude7

daddude7 Well-Known Member

That was adequate. I'll allow it. :) Where is the banana?!

jumpkutz, SoCalJoe, nevzter and 2 others like this.
  3. BarryWhite

BarryWhite Well-Known Member

Just one? Perhaps an order of 7 dancing banana’s is appropriate!

jumpkutz, SoCalJoe and nevzter like this.
  4. jumpkutz

jumpkutz Well-Known Member

5. jumpkutz

I was waiting for the trophy presentation! AAARRRGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

nevzter likes this.
  6. MicahMan

MicahMan Administrator

I felt the same way. I wondered if that was always the plan for the coverage or if the pitch invasion led them to say "Who knows when they can take the field again? Roll credits!"

Even if we didn't get to see the trophy lift, what a storybook ending with Mitrovic's record-breaking goal in injury time!

jumpkutz, nevzter and BarryWhite like this.
  7. sacffc

sacffc Well-Known Member

That's the way to do it -- emphatically, at the Cottage. Well done!

8. MicahMan

MicahMan Administrator

Confetti! Streamers! Trophy!

jumpkutz, SoCalJoe, nevzter and 2 others like this.
  9. stlouisbrad

stlouisbrad Well-Known Member

Didn't see it live, but it was worth the wait. Good stuff.

10. MicahMan

MicahMan Administrator

Highlights with the trophy lift at the end:

Well, I was wrong about this match - even before the first goal was netted it was a pretty entertaining match with both sides going for the win until Fulham put it out of reach. I felt a little bad for Luton that they clearly were suffering from injuries and were no where near 100%, but only a little - mostly I loved watching Fulham cruise to victory today! I was so happy to see Cairney, Tete, and Seri get goals, but most of all I was thrilled to see Mitrovic get the record. As the game move into injury time I lamented that he wouldn't get a chance to celebrate the record at Craven Cottage, but then Wilson won the ball and although he was one of the only offensive players not to score tonight he went ahead and made the pass that we were hall hoping for. He put that ball on a platter for Mitrovic to do what he's done more than anyone else this season - put it in the net! Just perfect.

11. nevzter

nevzter Well-Known Member

Glorious.
    Happy to see the club win a trophy.
    COYW!!

jumpkutz, BarryWhite and SoCalJoe like this.
  12. MicahMan

MicahMan Administrator

After watching the Fulham's extended highlights with GJ last night I was praying that they would make this publicly available for everyone to enjoy. It is always a good day when Gentleman Jim goes horse!

13. daddude7

daddude7 Well-Known Member

I think it's time someone started a summer transfer window thread. :)

nevzter and SoCalJoe like this.
  14. astroevan

astroevan Well-Known Member

Wilson may not have scored but he effectively collected 4 assists (though he only gets credit for 3 because Mitro's initial shot on his first goal was blocked - but Wilson played him in perfectly). He's been a playmaker all season.

There are at least three quality soundbite quotes worth immortalizing in that highlight reel.

MicahMan and BarryWhite like this.
  15. jumpkutz

Party Time!

astroevan, nevzter and MicahMan like this.
  16. jumpkutz

Just a glorious, glorious Bank Holiday afternoon at the Cottage! My favorite stat: 19 shots, 12 on target, 7 goals. Seems like we've had so many poor shooting days, despite our recent success in the second tier, that I thought we'd never get it sorted out. We kinda did in the second half. I like winning well earned trophies. It's a bit much just for winning one winner take all playoff game at Wembley. It's quite another to win it over the course of a brutal 46 game season in arguably the toughest league on the planet. To be sure, the collective talent level in the Championship is well below the Prem and several of the other European domestic top tiers; Spain, Germany, Italy, and maybe France. But with the stakes of promotion so very high, you know the pressure on every person of every club in the league is gargantuan. The resulting intense, lung busting, physical, all out play on the pitch tends to balance the discrepancies in resources and talent. Our dominance this season, and in the last home match to clinch it, is remarkable. I haven't felt this good since the final whistle at Wembley in both playoff games. We can talk about next season after Saturday. Right now, I'm gonna have a Maker's and Coke! Polish up that trophy and find a good place to show it off!

BarryWhite, nevzter and MicahMan like this.
  17. jumpkutz

It was proper, fitting and just plain nice to see Denis Odoi getting to participate and celebrate with his ex-teammates. If you watched the locker room clip, he was given the opportunity to say a few words, then his mates insisted that he join them for the group trophy picture on the pitch. There are probably others out there, but this one was the best one I could find of the supporters serenading him on their shoulders for a truly goose bump farewell. Love it.

MicahMan likes this.
  18. MicahMan

MicahMan Administrator

I wholeheartedly agree with the sentiments on Dennis Odoi. It was great to see him get so much support from the fans and the team - they brought him up onto the stage for the trophy presentation! However... here's the funny thing... that is not Dennis Odoi on the shoulders of fans in the video! It is just a guy who looks like Dennis Odoi who literally went along for the ride. Fulhamish covered "Fake Dennis Odoi" in their Quick Take video: